Runway is a research company pioneering new tools for human imagination. Runway has been at the forefront of multi-modal AI systems ensuring that the future of content creation is accessible, controllable and empowering for creatives. Runway’s mission is to ensure that anyone anywhere can tell their stories. We believe that deep learning techniques applied to audiovisual content will forever change art, creativity, and design tools.
Runway is leading a shift to generative media that is unlocking an unprecedented level of creative potential. The invention of the camera 200 years ago forever changed our world – AI is a new kind of camera that will reshape storytelling forever and lead to full feature films that are entirely generated.
About the role 🎉
We are looking to hire a Counsel to set a strong foundation for scalable success across our commercial and other legal support work streams. Specifically, you will own the commercial legal function, as well as bring to the table experience in data privacy and/or product counseling. You will also serve as a strategic thought partner to the General Counsel, and to other members of the Runway Executive Team as appropriate. Comfort working within a highly technical, rapidly evolving area of the law is a must. In short: you’ll wear many hats, and the role will evolve. No two days will be the same. This role reports directly to the General Counsel.
What you’ll do 🎨
- Negotiate commercial contracts on Runway’s behalf in a strategic, risk-appropriate manner
- Recommend and implement commercial processes, tools, and infrastructure appropriate for our size, scale, and growth trajectory, whether with respect to internal documentation (e.g., playbooks) or our legal tech stack (e.g., contract management system)
- Empower the sales team with tools and knowledge to close deals quickly
- Manage (or support) Runway’s privacy program, as appropriate based on expertise and bandwidth
- Provide legal guidance regarding the development and marketing of Runway’s products and services, including advising on regulatory, data privacy and intellectual property matters
- Dive into the technical aspects of the product to learn it inside and out, to inform your advice to the business
- Closely follow technical, legal, and policy developments in the generative AI space
- Manage outside counsel as appropriate
What you’ll need 💻
- A J.D. and admission in good standing with at least one state bar
- Strong business acumen
- Experience in commercial contract negotiations, and ideally, privacy and/or product counseling
- Experience working in B2B SaaS is not a strict requirement, but is highly preferred
- The capacity to think big; a bias for action; and a willingness to take ownership
- Growth mindset that prioritizes continuous operational improvement and service excellence
- Experience with scaling business processes globally and operating in environments that have achieved significant scale
- Excitement about generative AI and motivation to continuously learn more about the legal landscape governing a new and exciting industry
Runway strives to recruit and retain exceptional talent from diverse backgrounds while ensuring pay equity for our team. Our salary ranges are based on competitive market rates for our size, stage and industry, and salary is just one part of the overall compensation package we provide.
There are many factors that go into salary determinations, including relevant experience, skill level and qualifications assessed during the interview process, and maintaining internal equity with peers on the team. The range shared below is a general expectation for the function as posted, but we are also open to considering candidates who may be more or less experienced than outlined in the job description. In this case, we will communicate any updates in the expected salary range.
Lastly, the provided range is the expected salary for candidates in the U.S. Outside of those regions, there may be a change in the range, which again, will be communicated to candidates.
Salary range: $160,000-$190,000
Working at Runway
Great things come from great teams. We’d love to hear from you.
We’re committed to creating a space where our employees can bring their full selves to work and have equal opportunity to succeed. So regardless of race, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, origin, ability, age, veteran status, if joining this mission speaks to you, we encourage you to apply.
More about Runway
- Runway Research
- Runway's AI Film Festival
- Creative Dialogues Series
- Runway Studios
- Our Behaviors and Company Mission
- We raised a $141 million extension to our Series C