Runway is a research company pioneering new tools for human imagination. Runway has been at the forefront of multi-modal AI systems ensuring that the future of content creation is accessible, controllable and empowering for creatives. Runway’s mission is to ensure that anyone anywhere can tell their stories. We believe that deep learning techniques applied to audiovisual content will forever change art, creativity, and design tools.
Runway is leading a shift to generative media that is unlocking an unprecedented level of creative potential. The invention of the camera 200 years ago forever changed our world – AI is a new kind of camera that will reshape storytelling forever and lead to full feature films that are entirely generated.
About the role
We’re looking for a strong Staff Software Engineer to help us build scalable and robust data infrastructure to power Runway’s applied research. You will be the first hire in a new team that’s focused on building data pipelines to support all of Runway’s generative model training and continuous model improvement. The best fit for this role has experience with building large-scale systems for analysis, curation, and retrieval of multimodal data, as well as strong system design and collaboration skills.
What you’ll do
- Build out pipelines for the creation, curation, and processing of large-scale multimodal datasets
- Create internal tooling to enable Runway’s applied research team to build workflows and run experiments on that infrastructure
What you’ll need
- Strong knowledge of Python
- Experience with one or more frameworks for large-scale data processing (e.g. Spark, Ray, etc) and one or more ML frameworks (e.g. PyTorch, JAX)
- 3+ years experience building out data pipelines from scratch and optimizing those pipelines for high performance and great developer experience
- Familiarity and experience with AWS and/or GCP is a bonus
Runway strives to recruit and retain exceptional talent from diverse backgrounds while ensuring pay equity for our team. Our salary ranges are based on competitive market rates for our size, stage and industry, and salary is just one part of the overall compensation package we provide.
There are many factors that go into salary determinations, including relevant experience, skill level and qualifications assessed during the interview process, and maintaining internal equity with peers on the team. The range shared below is a general expectation for the function as posted, but we are also open to considering candidates who may be more or less experienced than outlined in the job description. In this case, we will communicate any updates in the expected salary range.
Lastly, the provided range is the expected salary for candidates in the U.S. Outside of those regions, there may be a change in the range, which again, will be communicated to candidates.
Salary range: $220,000-260,000
Working at Runway
Great things come from great teams. We’d love to hear from you.
We’re committed to creating a space where our employees can bring their full selves to work and have equal opportunity to succeed. So regardless of race, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, origin, ability, age, veteran status, if joining this mission speaks to you, we encourage you to apply.
More about Runway
- Runway Research
- Runway's AI Film Festival
- Creative Dialogues Series
- Runway Studios
- Our Behaviors and Company Mission
- We raised a $141 million extension to our Series C