Runway is a research company pioneering new tools for human imagination. Runway has been at the forefront of multi-modal AI systems ensuring that the future of content creation is accessible, controllable and empowering for creatives. Runway’s mission is to ensure that anyone anywhere can tell their stories. We believe that deep learning techniques applied to audiovisual content will forever change art, creativity, and design tools.
Runway is leading a shift to generative media that is unlocking an unprecedented level of creative potential. The invention of the camera 200 years ago forever changed our world – AI is a new kind of camera that will reshape storytelling forever and lead to full feature films that are entirely generated.
About the role
We’re looking for a Research Director to help us manage and grow Runway’s Applied ML Research team to create cutting-edge machine learning tools for AI-based content creation. This person should have a strong research background in computer vision, and be deeply interested in managing and enabling other researchers to develop state-of-the-art research.
This is a cross-functional role that requires strong communication and collaboration skills; you will have a chance to work with the rest of the engineering organization to oversee the transition from research into production, as well as with the Product team to initiate and develop research projects that deliver clear user value.
What you’ll do
- Work with a world-class engineering & research team pushing the boundaries of content creation on the browser
- Lead, hire, and grow Runway’s applied machine learning research team, supporting the research scientists & ML engineers on the team in their career growth and learning
- Coordinate with the product team and the rest of the engineering team to define high-level research goals aligned with overall company initiatives
- Write tooling and prototypes to unblock and increase the productivity of other researchers
What you’ll need
- 4+ years of industry experience as a research scientist in computer vision
- High emotional intelligence and experience mentoring and supporting the career growth of other researchers
- Good understanding of how to communicate goals, drive the execution of projects, and inspire through others
- Experience in translating product and business objectives into technical strategies
- Deep interest in productionizing state of the art ML research
Runway strives to recruit and retain exceptional talent from diverse backgrounds while ensuring pay equity for our team. Our salary ranges are based on competitive market rates for our size, stage and industry, and salary is just one part of the overall compensation package we provide.
There are many factors that go into salary determinations, including relevant experience, skill level and qualifications assessed during the interview process, and maintaining internal equity with peers on the team. The range shared below is a general expectation for the function as posted, but we are also open to considering candidates who may be more or less experienced than outlined in the job description. In this case, we will communicate any updates in the expected salary range.
Lastly, the provided range is the expected salary for candidates in the U.S. Outside of those regions, there may be a change in the range, which again, will be communicated to candidates.
Salary range: $350,000-$400,000
Working at Runway
Great things come from great teams. We’d love to hear from you.
We’re committed to creating a space where our employees can bring their full selves to work and have equal opportunity to succeed. So regardless of race, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, origin, ability, age, veteran status, if joining this mission speaks to you, we encourage you to apply.
More about Runway
- Runway Research
- Runway's AI Film Festival
- Creative Dialogues Series
- Runway Studios
- Our Behaviors and Company Mission
- We raised a $141 million extension to our Series C