MANAGER, PUBLIC POLICY & SMART CITIES SALES
Rubicon Global is seeking a public policy professional with significant business and partnership development experience. This role will primarily focus on conducting outreach and business development for our rapidly growing RUBICONSmartCity software as a service (SaaS) product, and will secondarily focus on leading the company’s public policy work stream. The role is based out of our office in New York City with frequent travel. This hybrid role is an excellent opportunity at the intersection of technology sales and municipal and state public policy, exposing the individual to the technology product development, sales and marketing, and public affairs and public policy. We are looking for proactive candidates with business development, public policy, or government experience.
The successful candidate will be joining Rubicon at a time of significant growth for our smart cities work and continued opportunities for our public policy work. We have now implemented our smart city technology in over 30 cities, including Atlanta, GA, Montgomery, AL, Philadelphia, PA, Santa Fe, NM, and Spokane, WA. We are well-positioned to expand this work in 2019 and beyond, and this role will be responsible for driving a large amount of that growth. Related to public policy, Rubicon continues to actively monitor policy developments and support our customers in understanding and complying with legislation at all levels. This role is an opportunity to enable Rubicon to grow and innovate no matter how the local regulatory environment might change. Flexibility, strong commercial awareness, and a passion for cities are important attributes. The role requires roughly 25% domestic travel.
The role is also an opportunity to be based at Rubicon’s expanding New York City office. Only candidates based in the NYC area or willing to relocate to NYC should apply.
- Business Development
- Build and manage a strong pipeline of potential government customers by establishing deep relationships across the industry, managing existing relationships, and doing cold outreach.
- Convert this pipeline into pilot implementations and ultimately revenue-producing contracts for Rubicon.
- Identify opportunities to help new and existing city customers drive cost savings, sustainability, and operational excellence in their solid waste departments and across other departments in the city using our technology.
- Identify, vet, and respond to Requests for Proposals (RFPs) from potential government customers. Work hand-in-hand with other departments within Rubicon--including Legal, Finance, and Tech - to prepare the best possible submissions.
- Manage outreach efforts to new city governments in close coordination with the marketing team.
- Execute the sales strategy to meet annual revenue targets for the smart city business.
- Support our Account Management team to identify and close new opportunities within our network of existing contracts.
- Coordinate closely with the Launch team to get each new city off to a fast start and ensure a smooth transition from contract signing to implementation.
- Achieve and maintain a deep technical understanding of our products, their use cases, and our product development roadmap. Understand and be able to communicate how cities will receive extraordinary value from our product and services.
- Inform and support the product development team as they continue to evolve the product by providing customer feedback, market dynamics, and example use cases.
- Proactively consult with cities to fully understand their needs and actively solve pain points.
- Regularly travel to meet existing and potential city customers.
- Public Policy
- Research and communicate leading public policy threats to Rubicon’s business model.
- Help develop a strategy to mitigate those risks and then implement that strategy in key markets.
- Monitor legislative and regulatory developments in 50 states and leading U.S. cities to produce monthly public policy updates for national customers.
- Represent company on local industry and civic associations, as needed.
- Provide public policy research and legislative support across internal departments and external customers as needed.
- Prepare internal briefings, talking points, and additional correspondence relating to Rubicon’s Public Policy and Business goals.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
The ideal candidate will have previous experience in business development (ideally in a government context), policy, and/or government. The ideal candidate will possess extraordinary communication skills, including strong writing and presentation skills, as well as an aptitude for policy. The following skills and experience are required:
- B.S. or B.A. required.
- Minimum 4+ years work experience.
- Experience in business development, policy, or government.
- Proven track record of building rapport and relationships at all levels, particularly elected officials, government staff, and municipal leadership.
- Commercial awareness, particularly in identifying business development opportunities within a government context
- Excellent writing and communication skills, including presentation skills via phone, online and in person.
- Internet-savvy and entrepreneurial.
- Able to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a dynamic, fast-paced, ever-changing startup environment. Adaptability and flexibility are critical skills.
- High level of organization and a great attention to detail.
- Data driven with appreciation of organization and process.
- Microsoft Office expertise required.
Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume to apply.
About Rubicon Global
Rubicon Global is a technology company that powers a digital marketplace, provides a suite of SaaS products for waste, recycling, and smart city solutions, and collects and analyzes data for businesses and governments worldwide.
Rubicon is using technology for social good, to help turn neighborhoods into greener and smarter cities. The company is a Certified B Corporation, which means we align our business with purpose.
Rubicon’s mission is to end waste in all of its forms. This starts with the physical waste that businesses, governments and organizations produce in their daily operations. But it goes a step further to include wasted time, wasted money, and wasted energy. It starts with keeping materials out of landfills and creating a more circular economy through recycling and reuse, and expands to include creating a more efficient and effective society.
Through technology, Rubicon is transforming the entire category of the waste and recycling industry. With the advent of artificial intelligence, big data, and machine learning, the world of both residential and commercial waste and recycling is going to be entirely different 50 years from now, and Rubicon is the catalyst that is driving that change.
Rubicon Global is a Certified B Corp and an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We also maintain a Drug-Free Workplace.