SMART CITY SALES MANAGER
Rubicon Global is seeking a sales professional to expand the reach of our smart cities work with local governments in North America. The role is based out of our office in New York City with frequent travel. As the first dedicated sales position for our Smart City business, the role is an excellent opportunity to build a sales organization and shape the trajectory of Rubicon’s fastest-growing line of business. We are looking for proactive candidates with sales or procurement experience in the smart city or government space.
The successful candidate will be joining Rubicon at a time of significant growth for our smart cities work. We have now implemented our smart city technology in over 30 cities, including Atlanta, GA, Montgomery, AL, and Spokane, WA. We are well-positioned to expand this work in 2019 and beyond. The ideal candidate will be an experienced sales manager with the desire to grow the business while helping to establish sales processes and systems for scale. Flexibility, strong commercial awareness, and a passion for cities are important attributes.
The role is also an opportunity to be based at Rubicon’s expanding New York City office. Only candidates based in the NYC area or willing to re-locate to NYC should apply.
- Build and manage a strong pipeline of potential government customers by establishing deep relationships across the industry, managing existing relationships, and doing cold outreach.
- Convert this pipeline into pilot implementations and ultimately revenue-producing contracts for Rubicon.
- Identify opportunities to help new and existing city customers drive cost savings, sustainability, and operational excellence in their solid waste departments and across other departments in the city using our technology.
- Identify, vet, and respond to Requests for Proposals from potential government customers. Work hand-in-hand with other departments within Rubicon--including Legal, Finance, and Tech--to prepare the best possible submissions.
- Lead and manage our outreach efforts to new city governments in close coordination with the marketing team.
- Develop and execute the sales strategy to meet annual revenue targets for the smart city business.
- Support our Account Management team to identify and close new opportunities within our network of existing contracts.
- Coordinate closely with the Launch team to get each new city off to a fast start and ensure a smooth transition from contract signing to implementation. Develop and define internal processes where necessary to strengthen our ability to serve our cities.
- Achieve and maintain a deep technical understanding of our products, their use cases, and our product development roadmap. Understand and be able to communicate how cities will receive extraordinary value from our product and services.
- Inform and support the product development team as they continue to evolve the product by providing customer feedback, market dynamics, and example use cases.
- Collaborate internally with Product team to communicate customer needs to design ideal offering/features.
- Proactively consult with cities to fully understand their needs and actively solve pain points.
- Regularly travel to meet existing and potential city customers.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
The ideal candidate will have previous experience in sales (ideally in a government context) and / or at least 5 years of experience at a software company. The ideal candidate will possess extraordinary communication skills, including strong writing and presentation skills. The following skills and experience are required:
- S. or B.A. required.
- Minimum 7+ years work experience.
- Experience in sales at a software company or SaaS startup with governments as end users.
- Proven track record of building rapport and relationships at all levels, particularly elected officials, government staff, and municipal leadership.
- Commercial awareness, particularly in identifying business development opportunities within a government context
- Excellent writing and communication skills, including presentation skills via phone, online and in person.
- Internet-savvy and entrepreneurial.
- Able to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a dynamic, fast-paced, ever-changing startup environment. Adaptability and flexibility are critical skills.
- High level of organization and a great attention to detail.
- Data driven with appreciation of organization and process.
- Microsoft Office expertise required.
Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume to apply.
About Rubicon Global
Rubicon Global is a technology company that powers a digital marketplace, provides a suite of SaaS products for waste, recycling, and smart city solutions, and collects and analyzes data for businesses and governments worldwide.
Rubicon is using technology for social good, to help turn neighborhoods into greener and smarter cities. The company is a Certified B Corporation, which means we align our business with purpose.
Rubicon’s mission is to end waste in all of its forms. This starts with the physical waste that businesses, governments and organizations produce in their daily operations. But it goes a step further to include wasted time, wasted money, and wasted energy. It starts with keeping materials out of landfills and creating a more circular economy through recycling and reuse, and expands to include creating a more efficient and effective society.
Through technology, Rubicon is transforming the entire category of the waste and recycling industry. With the advent of artificial intelligence, big data, and machine learning, the world of both residential and commercial waste and recycling is going to be entirely different 50 years from now, and Rubicon is the catalyst that is driving that change.
Rubicon Global is a Certified B Corp and an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We also maintain a Drug-Free Workplace.