As an Embedded System Bring-Up Engineer, you will be part of a team of experts building a secure real-time middleware platform with extreme performance and scalability. As part of our distributed RTI Platform Team, your role is critical in enabling and maintaining our products to support various platforms and systems.
Real-Time Innovations (RTI) is the largest software framework provider for smart machines and real-world systems. Our software runs the largest power plants on the continent, connects perception to control in over 200 autonomous vehicles, drives the new generation of medical robotics, controls hyperloop and flying cars, and provides 24x7 medical intelligence to hospital patients and emergency victims. We are the best positioned small company in the world to create the very real future of intelligent, distributed systems.
RTI leads the world market for software that connects real-world devices. Our diverse and global workforce believes in working hard and enjoying the journey. We recognize employees for their achievements, offer great opportunities for career growth and development, and provide the tools they need to succeed. We also offer great benefits and flexibility. We commit to making your life as satisfying as your career. And, RTI’s team is unmatched; our collaborative, transparent, and creative culture truly sets us apart from the rest.
We solve some of the greatest challenges in technology. Our mission is to transform industries: automotive, medical, power, defense, and control. Our core values emphasize excellence, teamwork, and your potential. Few small companies can truly claim to make the world run better like RTI. Come help make a real difference.
As part of a distributed platforms team,
- You are responsible to bring-up and maintain the embedded systems in our lab at Sunnyvale HQ. We currently support over 70 different architectures. The work involves creating and configuring bootloaders, building and configuring (embedded) kernels involving a wide range of RTOS, and integration into the automation frameworks at RTI. You work with our OS and tools partners as we discover issues with their toolchains and operating systems.
- You support your fellow platform team members, and the larger RTI development team with your platform expertise. You help debug platform specific issues. In some cases this may require adjustments to the embedded system. In other cases, you evolve the automation infrastructure.
- You bring your expertise to help the team in Spain to build their future embedded lab.
- You have experience with hardware setup.
- Passion for operating systems and embedded systems. Experience creating and configuring operating systems and kernels (e.g., QNX, VxWorks, Integrity, LynxOS). We don’t expect you already know all the RTOS we currently support. However, we do look for a deep understanding of how an embedded system kernel is created, loaded and runs. In addition, you have strong Unix system administration skills
- creating and configuring bootloaders
- building and deploying Yocto images
- customizing system startup routines
- Familiar with system generation and configuration, for example:
- Familiar with network configuration, for example: routing tables
- You are familiar with shell scripting. We currently use python, tcl, expect, and some perl.
- You have basic C programming knowledge, and you are familiar with makefiles.
- Ability to work successfully in a highly distributed team.
- Must be a U.S. Person to apply. Work to be performed for this position relates to federal government contracts which require U.S. Persons (e.g., U.S. citizens or green card holders)
We have a collaborative and inclusive environment where individuals strong on aptitude and attitude will have an opportunity to grow their professional careers. Our culture embraces transparency, learning, and fun. We offer an attractive compensation package consisting of competitive salary, benefits, vacation bonuses, and equity participation.
RTI is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color national origin, sex, age status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.