This is a unique opportunity to join the applied research team at Real-Time Innovations (RTI). As a Senior Distributed Systems Research Engineer on our research team, you will be part of a team that is maintaining a strategic lead in technology and thought leadership for building software communications frameworks for smart machines and critical real-world systems like the Kennedy Space Center launch system and Hyperloop. The RTI Connext software enables 1000s of applications and devices to exchange data in a timely and reliable way. Our software features direct peer-to-peer connections, reliable multicast, automated application discovery, and unique, contractual quality-of-service control.
Our team values creativity, risk-taking, innovation, and open communication. Our research spans an ever-growing range of interesting topics, including for example, advanced compression, machine learning, edge communications and processing, software-defined networking, hardware and software cybersecurity, resiliency, simulation and gaming engines, fault tolerance, embedded computing, microkernels, software verification, and much more.
Real-Time Innovations (RTI) is the largest software framework provider for smart machines and real-world systems. Our software runs the largest power plants on the continent, connects perception to control in over 200 autonomous vehicles, drives the new generation of medical robotics, controls hyperloop and flying cars, and provides 24x7 medical intelligence to hospital patients and emergency victims. We are the best positioned small company in the world to create the very real future of intelligent, distributed systems.
RTI leads the world market for software that connects real-world devices. Our diverse and global workforce believes in working hard and enjoying the journey. We recognize employees for their achievements, offer great opportunities for career growth and development, and provide the tools they need to succeed. We also offer great benefits and flexibility. We commit to making your life as satisfying as your career. And, RTI’s team is unmatched; our collaborative, transparent, and creative culture truly sets us apart from the rest.
We solve some of the greatest challenges in technology. Our mission is to transform industries: automotive, medical, power, defense, and control. Our core values emphasize excellence, teamwork, and your potential. Few small companies can truly claim to make the world run better like RTI. Come help make a real difference.
You will be part of a team of experts researching emerging technologies, coming up with solutions for the problems posed by our research sponsors, exploring new concepts for products, prototyping ideas, and leading small teams to develop and to enhance advanced features related to RTI’s secure real-time middleware platform. This is an individual contributor role. Duties will include:
- Innovate new solutions that will form the foundation of secure, adaptable, and fast distributed systems
- Create and execute long-term strategic research activities
- Work with the business development team to define research areas of interest and define interesting research proposal topics
- Write research proposals and project reports
- Execute and lead research contracts to push our technology forward. Serve in the role of Principal Investigator on externally-funded research projects.
- Actively interface with research project sponsors, customers, research partners, and prospects
- Participate in and drive industry standards
- Communicate technical innovations through papers and presentations
- Support the transition of promising technical innovations to product including customer trials, coordinating with product management, design, development, testing and support groups
- PhD in Computer Science/Engineering, Robotics, Autonomy, Smart Machines, Distributed Systems or related field.
- New graduates are welcome; some experience also welcome.
- Experience in distributed systems research
- Excellent written communications skills, and evidence of research publications
- Experience writing and winning proposals, and research project management
- Solid understanding of computer network protocols; network and system programming, and real-time and/or high-performance applications
- Solid programming skills (e.g. C/C++, Java, scripting languages)
- Ability to work successfully / actively engage with a highly distributed team
- (Preferred, not required!) Experience using OMG Data-Distribution Service (DDS) middleware, including development of distributed applications using DDS
- U.S. citizenship required. Work to be performed for this position relates to federal government contracts which require U.S. citizenship.
This position could be located at our new office in the Denver Metropolitan Area, Colorado, remote, or at headquarters in Sunnyvale, California.
We have a collaborative and inclusive environment where individuals strong on aptitude and attitude will have an opportunity to grow their professional careers. Our culture embraces transparency, learning, and fun. We offer an attractive compensation package consisting of competitive salary, benefits, vacation bonuses, and equity participation.
RTI is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color national origin, sex, age status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.