In the next ten years, cars will safely drive themselves, hospitals will automatically care for patients, defense systems will protect with lower cost and error, and power systems will better use renewables. Real-Time Innovations (RTI) is the world’s number one software framework for these smart machines and real-world systems. We lead the transition to intelligent, autonomous systems, the most important technology trend for the next decade and beyond.
Our software runs the largest power plants on the continent, connects perception to control in over 200 autonomous vehicles, drives the new generation of medical robotics, controls hyperloop and flying cars, and provides 24x7 medical intelligence to hospital patients and emergency victims. We are the best positioned company in the world to create the future of smart distributed systems. There is no better place to usher in the new intelligent world.
We are seeking a Senior Distributed Systems Research Engineer. This is a unique opportunity to join our truly unique research team. Unlike many other corporate research departments, RTI’s team works closely with product development and field teams. As a result, we are rated in the top 1% in the country for research commercialization success. Like other top teams, we are creative, we take risk, we drive innovation, and we communicate openly. But then our product and field teams drive our top results into the real world. Most academic and corporate research dies in the lab; yours will not at RTI.
The research team’s mission is to maintain our status as the most advanced infrastructure in the industry. Our software implements direct peer-to-peer connections, reliable multicast, automated application discovery, and unique, contractual quality-of-service control. Our research seeks to push advances in today’s greatest challenges, including advanced compression, machine learning, edge processing, software-defined networking, hardware and software cybersecurity, resiliency, simulation and gaming engines, fault tolerance, microkernels, safety, and software verification. RTI Research is highly regarded; our excellent record helps us win millions of dollars in funding per year.
As a company, RTI is also unique. Our diverse and global workforce believes in working hard and enjoying the journey. We recognize employees for their achievements, offer great opportunities for career growth and development, and provide the tools they need to succeed. We also offer great compensation, benefits, and flexibility. RTI commits to making your life as satisfying as your career. RTI’s collaborative, transparent, and creative culture truly sets us apart from the rest.
Our ambitious mission and amazing opportunity is to transform transportation, medicine, power, defense, and control. Our core values emphasize excellence, teamwork, and your potential. Few small companies can truly claim to make the world run better like RTI. Come help.
You will be part of a team of experts researching emerging technologies, solving problems posed by our research sponsors, exploring new concepts for products, prototyping ideas, and advancing RTI’s secure real-time middleware platform. This is an individual contributor role; we want you to develop a reputation and research program that sets you apart as an industry leader. Duties will include:
- Innovate new solutions that will form the foundation of secure, adaptable, and fast distributed systems
- Create and execute long-term strategic research activities
- Work with the business development team to define research areas of interest and define interesting research proposal topics
- Execute and lead research contracts to push our technology forward. Serve in the role of Principal Investigator on externally-funded research projects.
- Actively interface with research project sponsors, customers, research partners, and prospects
- Participate in and drive industry standards
- Communicate technical innovations through papers and presentations
- Support the transition of promising technical innovations to product including customer trials, coordinating with product management, design, development, testing and support groups
- PhD in Computer Science/Engineering, Robotics, Autonomy, Smart Machines, Distributed Systems or related field.
- New graduates are welcome; some experience preferred.
- Experience in distributed systems research
- Excellent written communications skills, and evidence of research publications
- Ideally, experience writing and winning proposals, and research project management
- Solid understanding of networks, system programming, real-time, machine control, and/or high-performance applications
- Solid programming skills (e.g. C/C++, Java, scripting languages)
- Ability to work successfully / actively engage with a highly distributed team
- Experience using OMG Data-Distribution Service (DDS) middleware, such as through RTI’s University Program, is a great plus, but not required.
- U.S. citizenship required. Work to be performed for this position relates to federal government contracts which require U.S. citizenship.
RTI is distributed! This position can be located at our new office near Denver, Colorado, at headquarters in Sunnyvale, California, or at your home nationwide.
We have a collaborative and inclusive environment where individuals strong on aptitude and attitude will have an opportunity to grow their professional careers. Our culture embraces transparency, learning, and fun. We offer an attractive compensation package consisting of competitive salary, benefits, vacation bonuses, and equity participation.
RTI is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color national origin, sex, age status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.