‘Rothesay’ is a UK insurance company purpose-built to protect pensions. We are the largest specialist pension insurer in the UK, managing over £50bn of assets and securing pensions for over 800,000 people. We secure pensions for over 170 pension schemes and insurers including British Airways, Post Office, ASDA, National Grid and Aegon.
At Rothesay, we are striving to transform our industry. We believe deeply in creating real security for the future and our leadership in finding new and better ways to do that is the key to our success. To do that, we need the very brightest original thinkers to bring creativity as well as rigour. Rothesay is a rewarding place to work, where quality people can thrive and prosper. We pride ourselves on the connections our people build, many of whom have been with us for over ten years.
Job Title: Investment Analyst
Reports to: Head of US Public Finance
Location: New York
Working pattern: Partial Work-from-home capabilities
Salary: $160,000 - 200,000 base + competitive benefits package (including discretionary bonus)
Rothesay Asset Management, NA is looking for an Investment Analyst to join the US Public Finance team. The team provides asset origination, portfolio management, trading, credit surveillance, underwriting, and ESG expertise to the growing US Public Finance business. Rothesay Asset Management, NA is a subsidiary of Rothesay Life,the UK’s largest pension insurance specialist. The ideal candidate will have at least 3-years of experience in the municipal bond market with strong analytical skills, deep understanding of credit and legal analysis, and relative value within the municipal market. An innovative and collaborative team member will contribute to identification and evaluation of prospective investment opportunities and effectively communicate ideas and findings. The role will be based in NYC with partial work-from-home capabilities.
- Collaborate with the US Public Finance team on primary and secondary market opportunities.
- Perform in-depth investment analysis for a growing municipal bond platform including qualitative and quantitative credit research, scrutiny of bond security packages and capital structures, financial statement analysis, pro-forma modelling (three-statement, stress cases, covenant tests), development and upkeep of credit databases, policy and event monitoring.
- Relative value tracking and identification of investment opportunities.
- Timely portfolio surveillance and coordination of due diligence exercises (internal and external) to assist in firm risk management.
- Develop and present internal investment committee memos using strong written and verbal skills.
Skills & Experience:
- At least 5 years of experience in municipal credit analysis with high yield experience a plus.
- Bachelors or Master’s degree with concentration in finance; CFA a plus.
- Strong critical thinking and ability to process and quickly summarize large amounts of financial, written and numerical information, highlighting key areas and implications for an investment.
- Proficiency in math to support advanced analytical, bond pricing, and valuation skills.
- Knowledge of the municipal markets and ability to identify relative value opportunities.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Bloomberg, data analysis, and financial modelling.
- Deep understanding of bond security packages and identifying key legal or structural risks.
- Organized and detailed oriented with ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment.
- Hard-working, innovative, self-starter with an ability to creatively solve problems and a passion for investing.
- Dedication to role – Motivated to provide an effective support service across all facets of role
- Team Player – Demonstrates evidence of being a strong team player, collaborates well with others and encourages other admin team members
- Communication – Ability to communicate what is relevant and important in a clear, constructive and concise manner
- Organised - Ability to work under pressure and prioritise workload in a fast paced environment. Ability to work autonomously with limited supervision
- Creative and innovative – Looks for ways to improve current processes and help develop creative solutions that have practical value for the admin team
- Judgement and Problem Solving – Proactive, sees the big picture and willing to be flexible to solve issues as they arise
Disclaimer This position description is intended to describe the duties most frequently performed by an individual in this position. It is not intended to be a complete list of assigned duties, but to describe a position level. The role shall be performed within a professional office environment. Rothesay Life has health and safety polices that are available for all workers upon request. There are no specific health risks associated with the role.
Inclusion Rothesay actively promotes diversity and inclusivity. We know that our success depends on our people and that by nurturing a culture that values difference, we create a stronger, more dynamic business. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability or age.