‘Rothesay’ is a UK insurance company purpose built to protect pensions. We are the largest specialist pension insurer in the UK, managing over £60bn of assets and securing pensions for over 800,000 people. We secure pensions for over 170 pension schemes and insurers including British Airways, Post Office, ASDA, National Grid and Aegon.
At Rothesay, we are striving to transform our industry. We believe deeply in creating real security for the future and our leadership in finding new and better ways to do that is the key to our success. To do that, we need the very brightest original thinkers to bring creativity as well as rigour. Rothesay is a rewarding place to work, where quality people can thrive and prosper. We pride ourselves on the connections our people build, many of whom have been with us for over ten years.
Job title: Graduate Trainee Accountant
Reports to: Head of Monthly Reporting
We are seeking an enthusiastic, self-motivated, and hardworking graduate to join Rothesay’s Financial Reporting team as a trainee Accountant. The successful candidate will learn a wide variety of accounting skills on-the-job, whilst studying towards a funded ACCA qualification. The successful candidate will be given early responsibility and the initial role will involve an array of general Accounts Assistant duties as part of the team responsible for a number of different legal entities. With other members of the team this will involve complete ownership of the entity from journal posting through to the preparation of the annual financial statements and regulatory returns.
- Assisting with the preparation and analysis of monthly management accounts under IFRS
- Assisting with the preparation and review of financial statements under IFRS including liaison with auditors
- Aiding in the preparation of VAT returns and submission of quarterly tax returns
- Aiding in the preparation of Quarterly and annual NSO returns
- Understanding the business and keeping up-to-speed with business developments and being able to communicate this effectively to team members
- Proactively seeking to identify improvements to manual processes and management reporting information leading to higher value added work
- Involvement in a broad range of department–wide projects and initiatives as well as cross-business initiatives
- Assisting in the preparation of quarterly and annual regulatory returns.
- Assisting in the preparation of Balance sheet substantiation on a monthly basis.
Skills and Experience
- We recruit from all academic disciplines; although a high degree of numeracy is required.
- Excellent academic credentials are essential. You must have a minimum of a 2:1 or equivalent degree from a leading university.
- A desire to obtain ACCA accreditation.
- Internships & work experience in the financial services is highly desired but not essential.
- You will need to demonstrate a clear interest and intellectual curiosity in the financial markets
- Fluency in English is a pre-requisite.
- Dedication to role – Motivated to provide an effective support service across all facets of role
- Team Player – Demonstrates evidence of being a strong team player, collaborates well with others and encourages other team members
- Communication – Ability to communicate what is relevant and important in a clear, constructive and concise manner
- Organised - Ability to work under pressure and prioritise workload in a fast paced environment. Ability to work autonomously with limited supervision
- Creative and innovative – Looks for ways to improve current processes and help develop creative solutions that have practical value for the admin team
- Judgement and Problem Solving – Proactive, sees the big picture and willing to be flexible to solve issues as they arise
How to Apply:
- You will need a 1 page CV and a 1 page cover letter (PDF format) that states in 300 words or less, why you want to work for Rothesay, why we should consider you and why you believe the match between yourself and our Company is a good one.
- Please apply via the link on our website – rothesaylife.com/careers/opportunities - ensuring your documents are in PDF format.
Disclaimer This position description is intended to describe the duties most frequently performed by an individual in this position. It is not intended to be a complete list of assigned duties, but to describe a position level. The role shall be performed within a professional office environment. Rothesay has health and safety polices that are available for all workers upon request. There are no specific health risks associated with the role.
Rothesay actively promotes diversity and inclusivity. We know that our success depends on our people and that by nurturing a culture that values difference, we create a stronger, more dynamic business. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability or age.