Job title: Compliance Officer covering Capital Markets, Asset Origination and Surveillance
Reports to: Compliance Manager
Purpose of role:
Rothesay always strives to do the right thing. We have high ethical values, and expect precision and excellence in everything we do.
We have set rigorous Compliance Standards that we use to measure our culture and conduct. The Compliance Standards support the Compliance Function to proactively identify, monitor and mitigate conduct risk.
The overarching purpose of the role is to ensure that Rothesay and its people adhere to our Compliance Standards, and that Compliance takes decisive action where required to maintain the conduct and culture we expect.
You will be responsible for:
- Leading and supporting the Compliance coverage of the Trading desk and the Asset Origination teams, including teams based overseas
- Leading and helping develop the surveillance activities over those teams and the wider Rothesay Group;
- Supporting Compliance coverage of other asset-side business groups including mortgage funding and commercial real estate
- Supporting the wider Compliance team in the implementation of the Compliance Framework
- Provide advice to the business groups on a variety of issues but primarily around determination of MNPI, potential conflicts of interest and other trading-related issues
- Design and deliver training to the business groups on various issues
- Manage the surveillance activities including written and voice communication surveillance and the development of transaction surveillance
- Support the team in the development of a Compliance Control Room and the execution of various responsibilities that fall to Compliance including approval of personal account dealing requests, approval of outside business activities and G&E
- Undertake monitoring and business assurance activities as required in support of the Compliance team
- Recommend decisive but proportionate action to identify and act on instances of non-compliance, including escalation of potential Conduct Rules breaches
- Provide ongoing reporting, MI and analysis on key current and emerging risks, themes and issues
- Take ownership of horizon-scanning and general regulatory developments that may impact the business
- Have a willingness and interest in developing an understanding of various aspects of Rothesay’s business and associated regulatory and conduct requirements and expectations
The role-holder should play an active role in the Compliance Function and the activities it carries on to meet its operational objectives.
Specifically, we expect you to:
- Provide decisive, independent support to the business on current and prospective conduct risks, themes and issues impacting Rothesay
- Both through your defined responsibilities and more generally, driving a positive, conduct-focused compliance culture at all levels of the business
- Provide input into the Compliance Function’s analytical framework and annual planning process
- Play an active part in forward-looking activities such as horizon-scanning
- Provide the CCO with evidence-based analysis that gives appropriate assurance to Rothesay’s governance fora, up to and including the Board
- Ensure you remain competent for the work you do, and proactively manage your professional learning and development, maintaining at least 20 hours’ CPD in a calendar year.
Skills & Experience:
- Minimum of 3 years’ relevant experience in a similar compliance role – we are looking for practical experience and disruptive thinking that ‘cuts through’ in practice
- Good understanding of fixed income markets
- Good understanding of market abuse and associated conduct obligations
- Ability to comfortably manage multiple work streams at the same time
- Demonstrable expertise with PRA and FCA requirements and expectations
- Strong personal commitment to the highest ethical standards and exceptional customer outcomes
- Experience working in a high-profile financial services environment, with senior-level professionals. This may have been gained within a regulated firm or in an advisory capacity
- Demonstrable expertise with C-suite and senior stakeholders
- Expertise consulting with and advising internal stakeholders around regulatory frameworks.
- Project delivery experience
- Demonstrable commitment to diversity, inclusion and making a real difference in the communities we live and work in
- Experience and understanding of the Insurance and Pensions industries, particularly with bulk annuities.
- Retail conduct experience, with particular focus on consumer outcomes and customer vulnerability
- Process improvement and enhancement
- Good understanding of GDPR, SM&CR and the practical application of the Conduct Rules
- International activities and regulations, especially the US and Asia-Pac
- Broad experience across multiple functions or divisions within a Financial Services company or international professional services advisory firm.
Our overarching Compliance competencies are integrity, enterprise and judgement.
- Technical Skills - Demonstrates strong technical skills required for the role, pays attention to detail, takes initiative to broaden his/her knowledge and demonstrates appropriate analytical skills
- Drive and Motivation – Be a self-starter; successfully handles multiple tasks, takes initiative to improve his/her own performance, works intensely towards extremely challenging goals and persists in the face of obstacles or setbacks
- Client and Business Focus - Effectively handles difficult requests, builds trusting, long-term relationships with clients and service providers, helps the client to identify/define needs and manages client/business expectations
- Teamwork – Demonstrate evidence of being a strong team player, collaborates with others within and across teams, encourages other team members to participate and contribute and acknowledges others' contributions
- Communication Skills - Communicates what is relevant and important in a clear and concise manner and shares information/new ideas with others
- Judgement and Problem solving - Thinks ahead, anticipates questions, plans for contingencies, finds alternative solutions and identifies clear objectives. Sees the big picture and effectively analyses complex issues
- Creativity/Innovation - Looks for new ways to improve current processes and develop creative solutions that are grounded in reality and have practical value
- Influencing Outcomes - Presents sound, persuasive rationale for ideas or opinions. Takes a position on issues and influences others' opinions and presents persuasive recommendations
Rothesay actively promotes diversity and inclusivity. We know that our success depends on our people and that by nurturing a culture that values difference, we create a stronger, more dynamic business. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability or age.
Disclaimer This position description is intended to describe the duties most frequently performed by an individual in this position. It is not intended to be a complete list of assigned duties, but to describe a position level. The role shall be performed within a professional office environment. Rothesay has health and safety polices that are available for all workers upon request. There are no specific health risks associated with the role.