Job title: Project Manager / PMO
Reports to: Chief Implementation Officer
‘Rothesay’ is a UK insurance company purpose built to protect pensions. We are the largest specialist pension insurer in the UK, managing over £50bn of assets and securing pensions for over 800,000 people. We secure pensions for over 170 pension schemes and insurers including British Airways, Post Office, ASDA, National Grid and Aegon.
At Rothesay, we are striving to transform our industry. We believe deeply in creating real security for the future and our leadership in finding new and better ways to do that is the key to our success. To do that, we need the very brightest original thinkers to bring creativity as well as rigour. Rothesay is a rewarding place to work, where quality people can thrive and prosper. We pride ourselves on the connections our people build, many of whom have been with us for over ten years.
Rothesay is offering the chance to work in an exciting, fast growing and stretching environment supporting a broad and large portfolio of projects.
The role would suit an individual with experience in Project/Portfolio Management or someone with experience of Rothesay’s business who is looking to play a key role in delivering a complex and technical portfolio of projects with an opportunity to develop new skills and experiences:
- define and deliver projects that are complex and varied
- support the Implementation/Projects team by fulfilling PMO functions
- to include planning, delivery, resource management, financial management (cost and benefits), governance, reporting, prioritisation support and the maintenance of required project documentation and tools
- effectively manage stakeholders and teams across the business with accountability for making change happen through the delivery of others
- work with Rothesay's clients, counterparties, Third Party Administrators and internal teams to manage and drive delivery of these projects
- provide challenge and support to key internal stakeholders to ensure the portfolio outcomes are achieved
- support the firm’s projects by innovating through the use of technology to support the distributed model of project management
- champion the use of the project framework to ensure successful delivery of projects
This role would suit an individual from within Rothesay who wants to learn more about successfully managing complex change in the organisation as we grow the firm.
Skills & Experience:
- Proven Project Management/Portfolio Management experience in delivering complex projects/programmes
- Ability to identify and fix projects that are experiencing problems
- Ability to add value to projects by understanding what is being delivered, the implications of the risks and issues, helping to identify interventions required to protect desired outcomes. This will be a huge help if the candidate is redeployed and understands Rothesay.
- Be comfortable with ambiguity in an environment where plans can change rapidly
- Well-rounded with energy, personal impact and robust personality with the ability to quickly build rapport with senior stakeholders
- Able to use a range of approaches to win active support and commitment to a desired course of action
- Able to use and develop PM tools ensuring reporting is consistent and meets the needs of stakeholders and type of project
- Awareness of project management and PMO methodologies including Agile
- 5+ years of relevant work experience in a complex environment (or 2 years in Rothesay)
- High degree of IT literacy ideally with experience of JIRA
- Possess a degree from a leading university in a relevant subject and/or have some relevant industry qualifications
- Some risk management, pensions and/or insurance knowledge is preferred but not essential
- Technical Skills - Demonstrates strong project management technical skills required for the role, pays attention to detail, takes initiative to broaden his/her knowledge and demonstrates appropriate analytical and technology skills
- Drive and Motivation – Be a self-starter with a high level of organisation and focus; successfully handles multiple tasks, takes initiative to improve his/her own performance, works intensely towards extremely challenging goals and persists in the face of obstacles or setbacks
- Client and Business Focus - Effectively handles difficult requests, builds trusting, long-term relationships with clients and service providers, helps stakeholders to identify/define needs
- Teamwork – Demonstrate evidence of being a strong and pragmatic team player, collaborates with others within and across teams, encourages other team members to participate and contribute and acknowledges others' contributions
- Communication Skills - Communicates what is relevant and important in a clear and concise manner and shares information/new ideas with others
- Judgement and Problem solving - Thinks ahead, anticipates issues, plans for contingencies, finds alternative solutions and identifies clear objectives. Sees the big picture and effectively analyses complex issues
- Creativity/Innovation - Looks for new ways to improve current processes and develop creative solutions that are grounded in reality and have practical value
- Influencing Outcomes - Presents sound, persuasive rationale for ideas or opinions. Takes a position on issues and influences others' opinions and presents persuasive recommendations
Rothesay actively promotes diversity and inclusivity. We know that our success depends on our people and that by nurturing a culture that values difference, we create a stronger, more dynamic business. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability or age.
Disclaimer This position description is intended to describe the duties most frequently performed by an individual in this position. It is not intended to be a complete list of assigned duties, but to describe a position level. The role shall be performed within a professional office environment. Rothesay has health and safety polices that are available for all workers upon request. There are no specific health risks associated with the role.