‘Rothesay’ is a UK insurance company purpose built to protect pensions. We are the largest specialist pension insurer in the UK, managing over £50bn of assets and securing pensions for over 800,000 people. We secure pensions for over 170 pension schemes and insurers including British Airways, Post Office, ASDA, National Grid and Aegon.
At Rothesay, we are striving to transform our industry. We believe deeply in creating real security for the future and our leadership in finding new and better ways to do that is the key to our success. To do that, we need the very brightest original thinkers to bring creativity as well as rigour. Rothesay is a rewarding place to work, where quality people can thrive and prosper. We pride ourselves on the connections our people build, many of whom have been with us for over ten years.
Job title: Quantitative Engineer
Under the leadership of the Chief Technology Officer, Rothesay has launched a multi-year project, Project Quest, to redevelop and modernize the full technology stack, encompassing pricing and other analytics, risk management, market data and trade capture and reporting.
Project Quest is nearing the end of phase one, which over the past year and a half of fast-paced exploration, design and delivery, has successfully delivered to production several key components and established the core engineering required for the new platform.
As we move into phase two, which will involve multiple and varied projects running in parallel, we have opportunities for a select few new hires to join the Quest team.
This is a rare chance to work with and learn from Rothesay’s team of extremely highly regarded, experienced and friendly software engineers. At Rothesay Life every employee has the opportunity to make a real impact to the business. The engineering team are open to new technologies and creative ideas.
- Be part of the team responsible for the major build-out of functionality on the new platform, using a combination of Rust (https://www.rust-lang.org/) and Python
- Project including but not limited to:
- Trade modelling and pricing
- Market data processing
- Risk reporting
- Scenario analytics tools
- Dev Ops / platform engineering
- Participate in BAU support rota (shared across Strats and Technology), providing useful opportunities to interact with colleagues across diverse areas of the business
In general, we are looking for smart, commercial, problem-solving-oriented, “get-things-done” candidates with a proven track record of delivering robust, high performance software and quantitative analyses and with either experience in financial markets or a keen interest to learn about them.
Skills & Experience
- Advanced analytical skills (typically evidenced by a degree in maths, physics, computer science, engineering, etc.)
- A deep passion for technology and software development
- Excellence in applied programming skills - Python, Rust, C++ or other major languages (experience with the proprietary "securities language" Slang is not expected – but the role may involve some Slang development)
- A team player with excellent communication skills
- Demonstrable, applied expertise in creating and validating pricing and/or risk models for use in a financial services organisation.
- Understanding of Fixed Income products and derivatives.
- A broad understanding of model risk, bringing new approaches and processes to Rothesay Life.
- Python programming experience
- Rust programming experience
- A track record of contributions to an open source project
- Linux/Unix experience
- Microsoft Windows experience
- Cloud computing experience
Rothesay actively promotes diversity and inclusivity. We know that our success depends on our people and that by nurturing a culture that values difference, we create a stronger, more dynamic business. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability or age.