Root is a fast-growing tech startup and we’re on a mission to build the future of insurance.
We are looking for a skilled individual with a curious mind to identify and solve interesting and challenging problems to scale the Root platform. You’ll be creating a world-class developer experience by building high-quality features that directly solves customer needs and pain points.
Our back-end API is built on Node and Express, using Postgres for data storage, and serving React-based frontends. We code in TypeScript across the stack.
This full-time role is based at our offices in De Waterkant, Cape Town, but we’re a remote-friendly team.
What you'll do
You’ll be leveling up our platform across the stack for reliability, robustness, testability and accessibility, by owning these core responsibilities:
- Work with the Product team to build, maintain, and document impactful back-end features, and solve interesting and complex problems.
- Be a key contributor to Root’s architectural strategy and coding principles.
- Optimise the platform to be highly secure, robust and scalable.
- Use continuous feedback to constantly improve our product and engineering processes.
- Support the Engineering hiring process, and mentor other engineers in the team.
We're looking for someone with
- A minimum of 8 years relevant industry experience.
- University degree in computer science, engineering or equivalent industry experience.High proficiency in back-end web technologies such as Node.js/Express, Spring, Laravel, Django, ASP.NET etc.
- High competency working with relational database technologies and SQL.
- Proven experience designing, building, testing, and deploying secure and scalable applications.
- Ability to work both autonomously and collaboratively in a highly iterative environment to solve complex problems.
- Ability to collaborate well with both technical and non-technical teams.
Bonus points/nice to have:
- Interest or experience in the insurance industry.
- Experience working in a start-up environment.
Who we are
Our mission is to enable innovation in insurance by building the infrastructure required to reach the future of insurance. We are striving to be the global API standard for insurance.
We show up for our mission by:
- Taking ownership to the extreme.
- Moving fast and shipping things.
- Starting with Why
- Assuming good intent.
- Keeping things transparent - we are open with others and ourselves.
- Keeping it simple.
- Learning fast and deep
- Not reinventing the wheel.
We pride ourselves on:
- Having low ego - we are humble, self aware & respectful.
- Being empathetic and showing compassion.
- Staying adaptable - we are innately curious and constantly learning and changing.
- Being remarkable - we are resourceful and effective.
The Root Team and how we enable success
Our team is made up of smart, passionate, and kind individuals working together to build a world-class company. We take the time to develop personal relationships with each other. Over and above daily team lunches, we do frequent team outings and ad-hoc adventures (when global pandemics permit).
We create and enable an environment for people to do their best work. To support this, we focus on a culture of autonomy, transparency and trust. As a startup, we care a lot about innovation, and believe in an iterative way of working to drive innovation forward. We encourage each other and foster a working culture of sharing early versions of your work and getting quick feedback.
Why join us?
We have ambitious goals. Our mission is to power innovators in insurance, globally, and we’re well on our way there. You’ll join at a very exciting part of the journey, and your contribution over the next few years will directly and visibly impact Root’s global success. Our team is incredibly friendly and collaborative. If you care about solving challenging problems with people you enjoy being around, this is the place for you.
Root has an inclusive culture. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply and introduce their skill set to us. Open positions at Root are competitive and we often receive high volumes of applicants. If you have not received further updates on your application after three weeks, you’re welcome to request feedback.