We’re a fast-growing tech startup building global infrastructure that powers the future of insurance. We’re looking for an experienced QA Engineer to come build out Root’s QA function.
Your mission is to improve the quality of software that gets shipped by the Root engineering team. This entails ensuring that all features and software enhancements that reach our customers are thoroughly tested, robust, and the bug report count reduced. You'll work across the entire software development lifecycle to improve quality of code produced: including feature specification, software development, testing, bug fixing, and improving these processes.
This full-time role is based at our De Waterkant office in Cape Town, but will be full-remote friendly.
What you'll do:
You will play a key role in creating the quality assurance function at Root and be responsible for:
- Making sure that the number of bug reports on the platform is substantially reduced by improving the code quality shipped.
- Taking into account any potential risks, of any edge cases and things to watch out for when speccing product features, design and briefs.
- Make sure new features are robust before deployment by performing quality and acceptance tests.
- Reduce manual and repetitive testing workload by implementing automated tests & testing and actively evolving on a code and process level.
- Develop, implement and continuously monitor quality assurance metrics.
We are looking for someone with:
Core requirements to perform responsibilities:
- 5+ years experience in QA or Technical Testing roles.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer science or equivalent - preferred.
- Experience following testing competencies: UI, API, Unit, regression, Integration, System, Performance.
- Experience with Mocha, Chai, Playwright or similar testing technologies.
- Ability to code on a basic level (more advanced coding abilities = bonus).
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Able to clearly articulate complex problems and solutions to different audiences.
- High attention to detail and ability to spot inconsistencies.
- Able to manage personal time, output and energy well.
- Fast learner, intellectually curious, and creative.
Bonus points/nice to have:
- Experience working in a startup
The Root Team and how we enable success:
Our team is made up of smart, passionate, and kind individuals working together to build a world-class company. We take the time to develop personal relationships with each other. Over and above daily team lunches, we do frequent team outings and ad-hoc adventures (when global pandemics permit).
We create and enable an environment for people to do their best work. To support this, we focus on a culture of autonomy, transparency and trust. As a startup, we care a lot about innovation and believe in an iterative way of working to drive innovation forward. We encourage each other and foster a working culture of sharing early versions of your work and getting quick feedback.
Why join us?
We have ambitious goals. Our mission is to power innovators in insurance, globally, and we’re well on our way there. You’ll join at a very exciting part of the journey, and your contribution over the next few years will directly and visibly impact Root’s global success.
Our team is incredibly friendly and collaborative. If you care about solving challenging problems with people you enjoy being around, this is the place for you.
Root has an inclusive culture. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply and introduce their skill set to us. Open positions at Root are competitive and we often receive high volumes of applicants. If you have not received further updates on your application after three weeks, you’re welcome to request feedback.