We’re a fast-growing tech startup building global infrastructure that powers the future of insurance. We’re looking for an experienced product manager to come build out Root’s product function. You’ll drive, direct, and execute Root’s product vision by implementing a world-class product cadence.
This means shaping product development processes, product operations, and product culture to solve impactful problems for our users within our business constraints and product vision. You’ll lead collaboration across engineering and design, and coordinate with all business units to rapidly evolve the Root platform into a world-leading insurance operating system. This role will be reporting to the Cofounder/CEO.
This full-time role is based at our De Waterkant office in Cape Town, but will be full-remote friendly.
What you'll do:
To win in this role, you will have to gain a deep understanding of our market, industry, clients and users, and our business, as well as develop a passion for a digitally-enabled future of insurance that we’re building towards. Your core responsibilities will include:
Strategy & stakeholder management:
- You'll actively drive both internal and external evangelisation for the Root product.
- Gain a deep understanding of our product, our market and industry, our business, our clients and users, and deep customer empathy.
- Drive growth by innovating Root’s product and user experience.
- Gain product feedback from users and other stakeholders.
- Become the resource for engineers and the broader Root team to use for client feedback and suggestions as well as to learn more about our users' journey (vision, strategy).
- Inform and review all product marketing efforts (blog posts, website, marketing materials) are to ensure alignment with the product vision.
- You'll build cross-functional bridges and strive for continuous communication that will help Root level up.
- Build an effective product cadence in the product team and execute it.
- Manage Root’s product roadmap (and make it easily accessible to clients).
- Ensure that Root has a high cadence of shipping impactful features.
- You will translate product strategy into detailed requirements and prototypes for the engineers.
- Scope and prioritise activities based on impact to the business and clients.
- Develop, implement and maintain product timelines for predictable feature releases.
- You'll guide engineers every day to make sure all of their output is aligned with the company's products vision/roadmap.
- Establish and ensure Root's product release cycle includes client communications about changelogs and feature releases, feature flags being utilised and features being deprecated.
We're looking for someone with:
Core requirements to perform responsibilities:
- 6+ years' experience as a Product Manager.
- Solid background in a dynamic product management role.
- Experience operating at the intersection of business and technology.
- Experience engaging a variety of stakeholders.
- A proven track record of managing all elements of the product development lifecycle.
- Being highly effective in cross-functional team management.
- Strong editing and writing skills along with strong presentation and speaking skills.
- Experience in clearly communicating complex issues to non-technical and technical audiences.
- Fast learner. Intellectually curious and creative.
- A high attention to detail with the ability to spot inconsistencies.
- Able to manage personal time, output and energy well.
- Excellent eye for aesthetic design and customer appeal.
Bonus points/nice to have:
- Insurance background.
- Product Management experience within a tech startup is beneficial.
The Root Team and how we enable success:
Our team is made up of smart, passionate, and kind individuals working together to build a world-class company. We take the time to develop personal relationships with each other. Over and above daily team lunches, we do frequent team outings and ad-hoc adventures (when global pandemics permit).
We create and enable an environment for people to do their best work. To support this, we focus on a culture of autonomy, transparency and trust. As a startup, we care a lot about innovation and believe in an iterative way of working to drive innovation forward. We encourage each other and foster a working culture of sharing early versions of your work and getting quick feedback.
Why join us?
We have ambitious goals. Our mission is to power innovators in insurance, globally, and we’re well on our way there. You’ll join at a very exciting part of the journey, and your contribution over the next few years will directly and visibly impact Root’s global success.
Our team is incredibly friendly and collaborative. If you care about solving challenging problems with people you enjoy being around, this is the place for you.
Root has an inclusive culture. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply and introduce their skill set to us. Open positions at Root are competitive and we often receive high volumes of applicants. If you have not received further updates on your application after three weeks, you’re welcome to request feedback.