Root is a fast-growing tech startup and we’re on a mission to build the future of insurance.
We are looking for a skilled individual to manage and level up Root’s finance function. You will ensure that Accounting and Finance is run smoothly and effectively, financial information is being used by decision makers and the day-to-day financial operations of the Root group are streamlined and automated.
This full-time role is based at our De Waterkant office in Cape Town, but will be fully-remote during COVID-19.
What you'll do:
In this role, and as part of the Finance team, your core responsibilities include:
- Manage and constantly evolve the accounting functions such as invoicing, supplier, payment:
- Month end procedures are complete, accurate and timely.
- Ensuring that Root has a strong control environment.
- Effectively manage Suppliers and costs.
- Ensure that cash flow and working capital is effectively managed.
- Prepare and effectively communicate financial information to stakeholders.
- Support teams in decision making with accurate financial analysis.
- Streamline and automate financial systems and reporting.
- Ensure that Root is always compliant with all laws and regulations relating to governance, CPA, Tax, VAT and BEE
We're looking for someone with:
- 4+ years post articles experience as Financial Manager and/or Financial Accounting
- Qualified CA (SA)
- Strong accounting and consolidation background
- Experience with complex SA company structure & inter-company consolidations
- Experience with complex international structuring & cross-border arrangements
- Understands the difference between the realities of doing business vs. accounting
- Excellent communication skills: clear verbal and written communication, competent talking to stakeholders
- A keen interest in continuous improving of systems and automating routine tasks
- Analytical problem-solver
- Execution driven for high quality outputs
- Process driven for continuous improvement
- Tech savvy, power-user
- Detail oriented and disciplined
- Practical, level-headed thinker
- Takes responsibility and owns their own work
Bonus points/nice to have:
- Programming and/or SQL experience
- An interest in the insurance industry.
- Self-starter who is passionate about working for a fast-paced start-up
The Root Team and how we enable success:
Our team is made up of smart, passionate, and kind individuals working together to build a world-class company. We take the time to develop personal relationships with each other. Over and above daily team lunches, we do frequent team outings and ad-hoc adventures (when global pandemics permit).
We create and enable an environment for people to do their best work. To support this, we focus on a culture of autonomy, transparency and trust. As a startup, we care a lot about innovation and believe in an iterative way of working to drive innovation forward. We encourage each other and foster a working culture of sharing early versions of your work and getting quick feedback.
Why join us?
We have ambitious goals. Our mission is to power innovators in insurance, globally, and we’re well on our way there. You’ll join at a very exciting part of the journey, and your contribution over the next few years will directly and visibly impact Root’s global success.
Our team is incredibly friendly and collaborative. If you care about solving challenging problems with people you enjoy being around, this is the place for you.
Root has an inclusive culture. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply and introduce their skill set to us. Open positions at Root are competitive and we often receive high volumes of applicants. If you have not received further updates on your application after three weeks, you’re welcome to request feedback.