Root is a fast-growing tech startup and we’re on a mission to build the future of insurance.
We are looking for a skilled individual to identify and solve interesting and challenging problems to scale the Root platform. This role involves building high quality, user-facing and internal-use features on the Root platform that directly solves customer needs and pains points. We help create a world-class developer customer experience.
This full-time role is based at our De Waterkant office in Cape Town, but will be fully-remote during COVID-19.
What you'll do:
In this role you will level up our platform across the stack for reliability, robustness, testability and accessibility and will own these core responsibilities:
- You will work with the Product team on solving interesting and complex problems.
- You will contribute to Root’s architectural strategy.
- You will be a key contributor to Root’s coding standards and principles.
- Build out new features and domains on the platform and be able to take lead on this.
- Write impactful code that directly affects our users.
- Write functional and fun guides for the tools you build.
- Use continuous feedback to constantly improve the experiences you build.
- You will share information, mentor and guide other Engineers in the team.
We're looking for someone with:
- 3 - 10 years of relevant work experience.
- University degree in computer science, engineering or equivalent working experience.
- Excellent understanding of typical Web development processes - design, development, testing and deployment).
- Ability to work both autonomously and collaboratively to solve complex problems.
- Able to work in a highly agile, highly iterative Software Development environment.
- Demonstrated ability to onboard and integrate with an organisation long-term.
- A strong team player, who is open to sharing knowledge and able to collaborate well with the Tech and border Root team.
- Strong problem-solving abilities.
- A curious, life-long learner.
Bonus points/nice to have:
- An interest in the insurance industry.
- Self-starter who is passionate about working for a fast-paced start-up.
The Root Team and how we enable success:
Our team is made up of smart, passionate, and kind individuals working together to build a world-class company. We take the time to develop personal relationships with each other. Over and above daily team lunches, we do frequent team outings and ad-hoc adventures (when global pandemics permit).
We create and enable an environment for people to do their best work. To support this, we focus on a culture of autonomy, transparency and trust. As a startup, we care a lot about innovation and believe in an iterative way of working to drive innovation forward.
We encourage each other and foster a working culture of sharing early versions of your work and getting quick feedback.
Why join us?
We have ambitious goals. Our mission is to power innovators in insurance, globally, and we’re well on our way there. You’ll join at a very exciting part of the journey, and your contribution over the next few years will directly and visibly impact Root’s global success.
Our team is incredibly friendly and collaborative. If you care about solving challenging problems with people you enjoy being around, this is the place for you.
Root has an inclusive culture. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply and introduce their skill set to us. Open positions at Root are competitive and we often receive high volumes of applicants. If you have not received further updates on your application after three weeks, you’re welcome to request feedback.