Senior Android Engineer, Native Telematics
HQ: Columbus, Ohio
The engineering team at Root strives to be one of the most transformative engineering teams ever. We’re changing the way an industry works by leveraging technology and data to build the best products possible. Even with our significant growth, we operate in small teams that are given ownership over projects and results. We’ve found that the people closest to the problems are the best at solving them. We’re actively hiring Engineers remotely and excited to announce that Root is a “work where it works best” company. Meaning we will support you working in whatever location that works best for you across the US. We will continue to have our headquarters in Columbus and offices in other locations to give more flexibility and more choice about how we live and work.
Our tech stack includes:
- Ruby / Rails backend, RSpec for testing
- Native iOS and Android code written primarily in Swift and Java
- Small amounts of Rust for high performance use cases
- Deployment to AWS ECS using containers
- Buildkite for CI
Our team excels at delivering software to solve the problems in front of us at Root: presently, a suite of world-class mobile, web, and server-based products obsessed with the customer experience. We’ve shaped our team and process around this; we know that constant iteration and experimentation produce the best results.
We divide the areas of responsibility for engineers into three major areas:
Technical: The skills and knowledge that make up an engineer’s basic problem-solving toolbox.
Planning and Execution: The ability to plan and execute work across a team of engineers beyond basic technical solutions.
Working with Others: The ability to work effectively with other engineers and people in other functions.
What we look for in Senior Android Engineers on Native Telematics:
- Deep understanding of Java, native libraries, client-server architecture, and web technologies
- Experience working with background execution on mobile devices, mobile application lifecycle, location libraries, motion librairies, and permissions
- Incorporates testing and thinks about reliability as a natural part of delivering working software
- Mastery of debugging and leveraging tools like logging, stack traces, and metrics
- Experienced with several programming paradigms
- Solid knowledge of databases, SQL, data analysis, and version control tools
- Adequate understanding of infrastructure and DevOps
Planning and Execution
- Plans and completes large and complex tasks/projects without supervision
- Foresees issues and requirements for large projects and features
- Completes large pre-planned tasks in an efficient manner
- Thinks critically about work to guarantee business functionality. Understands and takes into account business goals into their technical decisions
- Can break down large initiatives into incrementally implementable deliverables
Working with Others
- Able to work across teams to tackle complex issues
- Able to coach engineers on software engineering techniques and best practices
- Work closely with Product to deliver high-quality features
- At Root, we judge people based on the merit of their work, not who they are. Very few (if any!) people will fit every description; so if you are passionate about what this role entails, and are excited by solving real problems, we encourage you to apply; we want to learn about you, and what you can add to our team!
Who we are.
- Root Insurance is the nation’s first licensed insurance carrier powered entirely by mobile. We were founded on the belief that the services you need for everyday life should serve you better. That’s why we base insurance coverages on you, not your demographic. It’s the way insurance should be. And it’s all conveniently in an app.
What draws people to Root.
- Our early success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building and promoting it. We look for individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and a highly analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
What we do on Native Telematics
Native Telematics is a core business and product service that laid the foundation for what Root is today. This team owns proprietary software and SDKs that enable the collection of driving telemetry from mobile devices. This detailed sensory data we collect enables Root to use sophisticated data science models to assess the risk of potential customers, and maintain a competitive moat around our pricing models. Engineers of the Native Telematics team have a direct impact on innovating and improving Root’s technology around telematics data collection as well as helping to grow and maintain the health of our own mobile apps.