We are looking for an experienced, detail oriented designer to help take our design system to the next level. As the lead designer on the design system team, You will empower designers across the organization to build more cohesive, accessible, and high quality experiences for our customers through leading and evolving our multi-platform design system. You will be responsible for creating a robust system of documentation as well as iterating on and creating new components that evolve Root’s visual and interaction patterns across user touch points. Finally, you will support other designers on the team in effectively using and contributing back to the system as our product evolves.
Our company and Product Design team has a flexible approach to work. Candidates within the US can choose to work on-site in Columbus or Chicago, or majority remote with in-person visits as needed.
What you'll be doing.
- Take the lead on defining how Root’s design system should grow and evolve to fit the needs of the team.
- Collaborate with the product design team to document our system today and establish new patterns and components as our customer experience evolves
- Consult with other product designers to ensure proper and effective use of the design system
- Collaborate with teams in brand and marketing to assure brand alignment across customer touch points
- Identify opportunities to improve and expand the system by understanding the ongoing needs of product and engineering teams
- Advocate for high quality UI, branding, and accessibility best practices
- Identify ways to improve the design system to help the entire design team work more efficiently and effectively
What we're looking for.
- You have 5+ years of experience in interaction design, product design or related field
- You have experience working on or leading a design system team
- You’re a customer champion and practitioner of human-centered and service design methodologies with a deep understanding of digital product development
- You’re a self-starter who thrives in ambiguity, and can balance switching between strategy-level and pixel-level work
- You’re a systems thinker who loves establishing structure within complex information
- Passionate about accessibility and consistency in our visual language
- Strong communication and negotiation skills
- You’re comfortable learning about complex workflows across multiple industries (telematics-based insurance, fleet management, retail, etc)