Let’s face it, the workplace has been failing businesses and its workforce for years with unnecessary distraction, lost productivity, and overall employee dissatisfaction. It’s time for a change. The modern office needs to be rethought and redesigned with people in mind.
Here at ROOM, we know people are the most important asset in any organization, so we put them first. We design from the perspective of our community, putting ourselves in our customers' shoes to create the space needed to bring their ideas to life. We’ve set out to launch a fast, cost-effective alternative to complex construction with modular, purpose-built architecture that allows teams to shape and then reshape their work environment with ease.With offices around the world from New York to San Francisco, London to Berlin, Sydney and beyond, we’re seeking dynamic thinkers and doers to join us in making more room for everyone. ROOM is backed by top investors (Slow Ventures, Lerer Hippeau, and SJF Ventures) and is already building the workplace of tomorrow for over 4,000 customers ranging from budding startups to Fortune 500 companies, and has been recognized as a 2021 NYC x Design Awards Finalist by Interior Design Magazine, by Fast Company in its 2020 ‘Most Innovative’ Awards, and named one of the Best Inventions of 2018 by TIME Magazine.
- Participate as a key contributor in all new product development from the start. Bringing your experience of materials and sourcing to the table as a new product concept begins to help inform the direction of the product design and development.
- Explore and vet new material opportunities that push ROOM’s design innovation forward and deliver iconic features
- Build and organize a material library with the physical samples collected from different vendors, with the corresponding database of specification, vendor, pricing, location, and availability
- Develop a deep understanding of vendor and manufacturer capabilities and leverage knowledge to guide the team to develop the best possible product leveraging capability.
- Drive adherence to all timing goals, including spec development, sampling, and product approval within the scope of cost and feature targets.
- Build strategic initial relationships with potential suppliers and negotiate for prototypes required for design and engineering as well as early production.
- Own global sourcing across fabric/textiles, wood, glass, metal frames, and other materials during the product development stage, considering location, competencies, and capabilities.
- Manage sourcing calendars with the product readiness to meet the given timeline according to the NPI schedule, and identify and solve critical schedule risks (i.e., schedules, vendor solvency, material and freight cost fluctuations)
- Conduct timely and comprehensive hand-off of specification, pricing, and vendor relationship to supply chain and inventory management teams and oversee the sourcing transition from early production to ramp-up
Who you are:
- 8+ years of experience bringing a design from concepts to the production-ready stage, working with design, engineering, third-party vendors, and manufacturing partners.
- Executive-level supplier management and negotiation skills, as demonstrated through the successful product development track record.
- Aptitude and drive to create value for ROOM by improving and optimizing design for scalability and efficiency, as well as functionality enhancement
- Knowledge of various new material technologies, vendor and supplier landscape, and contractual relationship and external collaboration best practices
- Familiarity with different manufacturing processes, pros/ cons of specific methods, and potential vendor’s strengths and weaknesses in applying those techniques.
- Outstanding project management skills, including documentation, progress tracking, calendar management, and status reporting
- Demonstrate a high level of organizational skill and quickly reprioritize based on the needs of the product design development and iteration
- A developmental, entrepreneurial mindset with abstract analysis skills and a logical, but flexible approach.
- Ability to thrive in a high-energy, ambiguous environment where tactical and strategic activities are expected to be driven in parallel.
How we make room for you:
- Health & wellness: Flexible medical, vision, and dental insurance to take care of you and your family.
- Unlimited PTO: Flexible vacation policy to allow you to unplug and recharge whenever you need it.
- 401K: ROOM’s 401K savings program allows you to save for the future with pretax dollars
- Paid Parental Leave: Up to 12 weeks of 100% paid leave for all eligible employees
- Commuter benefits: Pre-tax savings that make a difference in your budget and your morning commute.
- Team events: Socially distanced team outings, dinners, and happy hours that inspire new conversations and lead to meaningful relationships.
- Equity: Company stocks to honor your hard work and dedication.
How we make room for everyone:
Our belief is simple: What makes you different is what allows us to be different. We value diversity not only in terms of race, gender, sexual orientation, and religious background but also in the way you think and approach challenges. We’re committed to creating a work environment where you can be yourself and trust that your voice will be heard. Diversity isn’t something we preach but something we practice every day and taking care of our team is always our top priority.
Join our team!
We’re a team of designers, engineers, and creative thinkers who came together to design the future of work. As a company, we believe that people are the most important asset of every organization. When you put people first, everything falls into place. Join us if you’re interested in creating solutions that improve life at work and looking for a culture of growth, freedom, and accountability.