We’re here to make room for people in the modern workplace. We create thoughtful designs that inspire new ideas, fresh perspectives, and a better way to work. Our first product is a soundproof phone booth for the open office. It takes away the noise and makes room for what’s essential. We deliver directly to you and keep prices low so that you can invest in bigger ideas down the road. We rethink and refine every step of the customer experience to offer thoughtful, modular solutions that grow with you, leading the way to better Mondays and a brighter future.
Since launching in May 2018, we’ve acquired over 3,000 clients, ranging from budding startups to Fortune 500 companies, such as JP Morgan, Nike, Google, and Salesforce. We’ve achieved a $40M+ sales run rate and we continue to grow our revenue more than 20% each month. We’re backed by Slow Ventures and notable angel investors from Silicon Valley, and TIME named our product one of the Best Inventions of 2018.
About the role:
You love helping new, innovative products get introduced to the market, and you have a passion for building strong relationships with suppliers. You have been instrumental in bringing products from concept all the way through volume production. You have a technical mindset and view sourcing as a key differentiator for improving the product. You are able to work with product, engineering, quality, and business functions to lead the supply chain strategy. You thrive in a fast-paced environment. The Senior Sourcing Specialist must have an in-depth knowledge of their industry. They have to understand the ins and outs of the commodity to know how to effectively source it, and they also have to have knowledge of all key players and suppliers in the industry. The Sourcing Specialist is an expert who will help make the sourcing process of ROOM more efficient. You will do this through building relationships with suppliers, negotiating cost and developing agreements.
What you’ll do:
- Develop and implement global sourcing strategies across ROOM product categories for fabric/textiles, MDF, Glass, Metal Frames, Hardware & Electronics considering region, competencies and capabilities.
- Oversee and perform competitive research; continuously evaluate the marketplace to identify key trends in requested materials, finishes and products and review significant innovations and share with management
- Source the best suppliers worldwide based on analysis of technical capabilities, commercial suitability and cost.
- Help drive ROOM’s overall supply chain strategy. Create strategic supplier relationships and negotiate our critical supply contracts.
- Communicate key issues (i.e., schedules, resource constraints, and launch plans implications) in a clear and timely manner to the new product cross functional team
- Own procurement for NPI development build components and tooling.
- Collaborate with cross-functional leaders in Product Development and Fulfillment to ensure alignment when establishing the most effective value stream/supply chain.
- Conduct risk assessments for new strategic suppliers, considering risks, quality, reliability, total cost, and delivery timing
- Support an innovative mindset inside the company through leading and facilitating strategic decision-making on issues of NPI process and supply chain structure relating to commercializing new product concepts.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with Product and Engineering teams and external suppliers with an understanding of global and diverse sources of supply.
- Manage the material cost, lead-time, capital investment, and capacity within the global supply base.
- Support initiatives related to sustainability and waste elimination by collaborating with Sustainability Leads.
- Identify opportunities for improving design execution, quality and cost
- Oversee tracking of production from first samples to final delivery
Who you are:
- B.S. in Operations, Supply Chain Management, Industrial Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering. Masters degree or MBA is a plus
- Knowledge of furniture construction and the furniture market landscape.
- Demonstrates a high level of organization and can quickly reprioritize based on the needs of the business
- 3 to 5 years of experience sourcing multiple categories within furniture industry
- Familiarity with different manufacturing processes, including CNC cutting, laminating, pressing, and injection molding
- Experience bringing a new product all the way from concept to mass production
- Excellent supplier management skills, as demonstrated through the successful achievement of assigned objectives.
- A developmental, entrepreneurial mind set with abstract analysis skills and a logical, but flexible approach.
- A willingness to take initiative and accept accountability with a strong sense of ownership over your work.
- The ability to communicate information, ideas, procedures, and processes in a logical sequence and at a level appropriate to the audience.
- Financial literacy and business acumen with the ability to objectively set and meet your own milestones and expectations.
- Expert relationship-building skills in all environments at all levels of the organization and the ability to build long-term relationships with stakeholders.
- Successful negotiation skills.
- Ability to thrive in a high energy, ambiguous environment where tactical and strategic activities are expected to be driven in parallel.
- History of collaboration and willingness to roll up one's sleeves to get the job done.
How we make room for you:
- Health & wellness: Fully covered medical, vision, and dental insurance to take care of you and your family.
- Unlimited PTO: Flexible vacation policy to allow you to unplug and recharge whenever you need it.
- Equity: Company stocks (ISOs) to honor your hard work and dedication.
- Fully stocked kitchen and lunches: Weekly catered lunches and plenty of healthy snacks, coffee, and drinks to give you the perfect energy boost.
- Commuter benefits: Pre-tax savings that make a difference in your budget and your morning commute.
- Team events: Monthly team outings, dinners, and happy hours that inspire new conversations and lead to meaningful relationships.
How we make room for everyone:
Our belief is simple: What makes you different is what allows us to be different. We value diversity not only in terms of race, gender, sexual orientation, and religious background but also in the way you think and approach challenges. We’re committed to creating a work environment where you can be yourself and trust that your voice will be heard. Diversity isn’t something we preach but something we practice every day, and taking care of our team is always our top priority.
Join our team!
We’re a team of designers, engineers, and creative thinkers who came together to design the future of work. As a company, we believe that people are the most important asset of every organization. When you put people first, everything falls into place. Join us if you’re interested in creating solutions that improve life at work and looking for a culture of growth, freedom, and accountability.