Rogue Games, Inc. is seeking a Vice President of Engineering (VP) to join the company. Reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the VP will lead all of our engineering efforts and must have the capability and capacity to grow into a game industry Chief Technology Officer (CTO) leader and influencer.
The VP will have three component parts: Architect, Engineer/Developer, and Team Manager. The VP is responsible for setting the technical direction and execution of software development at Rogue Games, Inc. The candidate will be a strategic partner to the executive team in charge of advancing the development of our Rogue Network publishing platform. Their expertise covers architecture, team-building, cross-group collaboration, data and analytics, data-driven decision making, marketplaces, and software development. They will be responsible for setting the culture and development cadence for the technology team, improving development velocity, increasing quality, and shipping products on predictable schedules. This position reports directly to the CEO.
Architect (25% of Time)
The VP will be the main architect of our cloud computing publishing platform. This will include choosing the technologies, language, and infrastructure to build the product with, choosing the development tools, source control, logging, tests, etc. They will set a quarterly to 2-year timeline of how the company's technology platform can evolve and align with business goals
The VP will design the software architecture, modules, and components; build the dev roadmap, with coordination with the other founders regarding priority of features; decide on coding standards and development protocols; write and manage any software related documentation (for example company internal wiki page, etc.) design the database. This includes choosing a DB solution, designing its tables and data relations, design it to scale, etc.
The CTO will constantly explore new tools and technologies to improve development efficiency and product quality. When someone introduces a new tool or technology that integrates with the software or affect the dev cycle, the VP must examine and approve or reject it. When another founder or employee designs a software component or a module, the VP must review it and suggest changes if needed. The VP will have the final word on all design decisions, as he is the technology founder with the deepest understanding of the general architecture.
It is important to remember that some architectural decisions may have financial or scheduling implications. The VP should not make decisions that exceed the budget or deadline.
Engineer/Developer (50% of Time)
Lead engineering and data science with approx. 3-4 direct reports. The VP will grow the engineering, analytics, and data science teams significantly and ensure the organization is built to scale; they will ship product and set up scalable tools; improve process and accountability across the organization; and partner with CEO (product manager) and lead cross-departmental collaboration (chief strategy officer, studio head, etc.)
Given that it will take time to hire devs, the VP will act as the main developer on the team until additional hires are made. This includes developing the product itself, testing the product and writing automated tests when possible; and overseeing any internal or external development. The VP will constantly monitor and assure the health and quality of the code, platform, tech stack, break down development tasks and evaluate dev times and release dates. The VP will be responsible to learn and improve from scheduling mistakes, managing releases, tags, and version history; develop or provide scripts and tools for others. As our company grows and the dev teams expand, the CTO will work less as a developer and may stop coding altogether -- but not at the stage of our company.
The VP will adopt new technologies and methods with proven and established methods of development to innovate when there is a return on investment; work with internal/external stakeholders to develop requirements, align on priorities, strategize scaling and report progress; manage the data team's effort, including predictive data (ML, deep learning), experimentation, and analytics/data warehousing (reports, dashboards, metrics, ETL/Pipeline); manage trade-offs, and prioritization based on time, cost, and quality; manage the selection and interdependencies of programming languages, frameworks, operating systems, internet-cloud, web-application servers, databases, and mobile; provide thought leadership on complex technology needs and provide guidance on macro trends (e.g. new methods of machine learning), and develop a plan and vision for the technology.
Team Manager (25% of Time)
The VP's main role is to manage the dev team and act as a team leader as well as the engineering leader (until those roles are fulfilled). This will include breaking down tasks for the dev team; training new employees, doing code and design reviews, making sure the dev team produces quality and tested code, making sure the dev team complies with the coding standards and protocols defined by the VP.
The VP will monitor the devs progress and making sure they keep up with the roadmap. They will meet frequently with each employee to make sure they are happy and in-sync with the company direction, inspire, lead and build the culture of the dev teams. They will oversee the entire dev cycle, from initial designs to delivery, helping devs with coding problems and challenges they can't handle.
The VP must be an exceptional developer and a problem solver that the team can rely on. The VP will recruit, evaluate new hires, onboard, coach and manage effectively.
- 5+ years of software engineering experience
- Ability to manage manage, mentor and build high performing software engineering teams focused on quality delivery at scale
- Expertise with cloud computing stack; recent deep experience with and understanding of AWS is a plus
- Ability to own and manage multiple concurrent projects, including presenting and negotiating with stakeholders on the interdependencies and possibilities of what can be delivered on schedule
- Experience building services or applications where performance is an important consideration
- Experience with performance tuning, reliability, redundancy, and fault-tolerant architectures
- Understanding and experience of building highly scalable, highly available systems
- Solid understanding and experience in the Agile methodology, hands-on management of Agile, iterative development spanning specification, prototyping, architecture, QA, and support
- Experience working industry-standard testing and code quality frameworks
- Understanding of security implications to all features (not just related to authentication)
- Solid understanding of the project lifecycle processes including initiation, requirements gathering, analysis and design, development tools and technologies, release and version control, contemporary testing methodologies, continuous integration/delivery, and deployment management
- B2B or marketplace product experience is a strong plus
- Active participation in all levels of building the company and application' a player-coach who enjoys the role and leads by example
- Exceptional team builder with an understanding of how to identify, attract and retain the absolute best. They know how to motivate a team, manage to their strengths, and produce better quality work
- Willing & open collaborator with employees across the company; actively seeks to learn from and mentor others
- Flexible and willing to adapt as situations change. High level of comfort with ambiguity and constant change
- Strong bias for action
- Highly data-driven possesses the ability to help the team understand the "why" behind "what" they are building as well as "how" they are going to measure and understand success
- A strong entrepreneurial spirit and passion for building new products
- Collaborative but can make quick and decisive decisions
- Willingness to learn and stay hands-on
- Proven knowledge of video game industry across mobile, console and PC.
- Comfortable working with engineers, marketing or other technical staff to build solutions.
- Cultural awareness, resilience and a sense of humor are important for this role
- Recent experience scaling a company from inception to at least $250 million in annual revenues.
Technology May Include:
- Data Platform: PostgreSQL, Redshift Data Warehouse, Looker, MongoDB, SQL, Oracle
- Infrastructure: AWS (ABL, EC2, S3, Elasticsearch, Elasticache, RDS, Cloudfront, Lambda, API Gateway), Kong, Rundeck, CircleCI
- Tools: JIRA, Confluence, Bitbucket, GitHub, Unity, Unreal Engine
Who We Are
Rogue Games, founded by industry veterans with more than 150+ years of games publishing experience, is a new kind of game company powered by innovative technology and developer-first solutions. Rogue’s extensive portfolio of games, which spans mobile, console and PC, features award-winning hit titles including Vainglory, Oz: Broken Kingdom™, Sociable Soccer™, Wild Life: Puzzle Story, Hexaflip: The Action Puzzler, Super Impossible Road and many more. Rogue is headquartered in Los Angeles with offices in San Mateo and Seattle. For more information, visit www.rogueco.com.
Rogue Games is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this Web site or directly to managers. Rogue Games does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Rogue Games will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Rogue Games.