At Rockstar Games, we create world-class entertainment experiences.
A career at Rockstar Games is about being part of a team working on some of the most creatively rewarding and ambitious projects to be found in any entertainment medium. You would be welcomed to a dedicated and inclusive environment where you can learn, and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
Rockstar Games is looking for an experienced and passionate technical artist focused on building camera tools to help assist and develop new technology as well as improve on existing technology and tools.
A person taking on this role will be creating and updating python-based tools, improving pipelines currently in place, and managing workflows for the very large number of files and assets that make up our games while supporting the camera team. The ideal candidate will have experience working in a DCC package such as MotionBuilder or Maya, while possessing a good foundation and core knowledge of object-oriented programming.
In addition to technical skills, it is important that a candidate holds strong soft skills and can work well in a highly cooperative environment. This position involves working together with many others in different roles and the ability to work collaboratively as a trustworthy member of the team is essential.
This is a full-time permanent position based out of Rockstar’s unique game development studio in the heart of Manhattan.
WHAT WE DO
- Interact closely with camera, cutscene, and motion capture teams in addition to tech art.
- Support camera tools pipelines and camera workflows.
- Work on live motion capture situations and help troubleshoot playback and performance issues.
- Continually innovate while solving technical problems throughout all phases of production.
- Design, develop, and support python tools and processes to extend/enhance the camera tools pipeline.
- Develop automated solutions to help process large amounts of data more efficiently.
- Help problem solve and diagnose unexpected issues with camera tools and game captures.
- Provide on-set related support for motion capture shoots.
- Write clear documentation for tools and workflows created.
- A relevant degree or professional experience in the game industry as a Technical Artist or similar / related position.
- In the absence of the above; videos or an online portfolio with relevant examples of your work will be required so we can assess your skillset.
- Strong programming skills in Python with an understanding of best practices for clean, readable code.
- Experience working in a 3D package such as, but not limited to, MotionBuilder or Maya.
- Experience writing tools in a production setting.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
Please note that these are desirable skills and are not required to apply for the position.
- Experience working with human interface devices (HID) in a production setting.
- Experience writing tools for camera workflows.
- An understanding of lenses and physical camera hardware.
- Familiarity with coding UI using PySide or PyQt.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply with a resume and cover letter demonstrating how you meet the skills above. If we would like to move forward with your application, a Rockstar recruiter will reach out to you to explain next steps and guide you through the process.
Rockstar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to hiring, promoting, and compensating employees based on their qualifications and demonstrated ability to perform job responsibilities.
If you’ve got the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We encourage applications from all suitable candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief, or race.
The pay range for this position in New York City at the start of employment is expected to be between the range below* per year. However, base pay offered is based on market location, and may vary further depending on individualized factors for job candidates, such as job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and other objective business considerations. Subject to those same considerations, the total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a bonus and/or equity awards, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an "at-will position" and the company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation or benefit program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.