At Rockstar Games, we create world-class entertainment experiences.
A career at Rockstar Games is about being part of a team working on some of the most creatively rewarding and ambitious projects to be found in any entertainment medium. You would be welcomed to a dedicated and inclusive environment where you can learn, and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
Rockstar London is on the lookout for talented Environment Layout Artists who possess a passion for environmental design (e.g. landscape design, architecture, urban design, or interior design). This is a full-time permanent position based out of Rockstar’s unique game development studio in the heart of London.
WHAT WE DO
- We are the game development equivalent of landscape architects, architects, urban designers and interior designers.
- We design layouts and locations for the environments of our game worlds.
- What we do is fundamental to the player’s experience. They inhabit the world we design, move through our spaces, take cover behind our walls, feel ownership over safe houses.
- We are designing spatial experiences. It’s not just how a single room looks from a single angle; it’s how it feels to move from one space to another. We create mystery, order, chaos, and anything in-between.
- Visual storytelling is as important in video games as it is in film. We create, visually, the story of the world.
- Create high quality spatial designs for environments using 3D sketch models and/or 2D paintovers.
- Be able to take a basic brief and flesh it out with own research.
- Create reference boards for artists as required.
- Pursue a high quality of both aesthetics and visual storytelling.
- Work closely with 3D artists with the final product in mind, both getting and giving feedback.
- Proactively seek feedback from Leads and Creative Directors.
- Proactively keep Leads and Creative Directors informed of progress and developments.
- Participate in R&D, problem solving spatial and artistic solutions to technical problems.
- Work with flair within the restraints of the medium.
- Actively pursue knowledge of the medium – what works, what doesn’t, and what we can do about it.
- A degree or the equivalent industry experience in a Design related role such as Visual Development/Concept Art, Game Art, Architecture, Landscape Architect or similar.
- For junior candidates we will consider applicants with no industry experience if their portfolio is of a very high standard.
- For experienced candidates we are looking for 2+ years of post-secondary educational experience.
- Excellent design skills.
- All-around artistic expertise and flair.
- Experience with 3DStudio Max (or similar) and Photoshop.
- Strong traditional art skills including knowledge of composition, layout, lighting, colour theory and visual storytelling.
- The technical ability to grasp new programs and systems quickly.
- An interest in learning to understand and work within the restraints of the medium.
- Ability to work with a high degree of self-direction and motivation.
- Comfortable working in a team setting, under deadlines and time constraints.
- Strong communication and time management skills.
- Able to prioritize and multi-task.
- Creative nature with strong problem-solving skills.
Please note that these are desirable skills and are not required to apply for the position.
- Passion for Games and how spatial and environment design concept apply to the medium is highly desirable.
- Games background/Experience of games pipeline.
- Eagerness to learn and upskill – we are open to applicants who do not possess a background in games and can provide training where relevant.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply with a CV and cover letter demonstrating how you meet the skills above. If we would like to move forward with your application, a Rockstar recruiter will reach out to you to explain next steps and guide you through the process.
Rockstar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to hiring, promoting, and compensating employees based on their qualifications and demonstrated ability to perform job responsibilities.
If you’ve got the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We encourage applications from all suitable candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief, or race.