At Rockstar Games, we create world-class entertainment experiences.
A career at Rockstar Games is about being part of a team working on some of the most creatively rewarding and ambitious projects to be found in any entertainment medium. You would be welcomed to a dedicated and inclusive environment where you can learn, and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
Rockstar is currently seeking an Animation Tools / Backend Programmer to help us develop animation-specific tools and architecture for open-world, character-based games. You should be a skilled programmer with a passion for optimizing application workflow. The role will also require an interest in character animation and the communication skills necessary to work with a wide group of discipline experts within Rockstar.
WHAT WE DO
- We develop animation technology, from performance capture through to a sophisticated runtime engine, for massive open world games.
- We are a global team of programmers and researchers who collaborate on pushing the boundaries of character animation on next generation hardware.
- We support and work closely with gameplay, animation, and technical art teams, across multiple projects at different Rockstar studios.
- Join our core animation technology team and work closely with performance capture, animation, rigging, technical art, and tools teams across different Rockstar studios.
- Develop, maintain, extend, and support new and existing pipelines, libraries and ui tools exposing core animation and character technologies to a broader range of developers and artists.
- Implement well designed, highly optimal, multi-language systems and tools improving technology availability across different environments and pipelines.
- Keep up to date with the latest academic and industry breakthroughs, independently research and develop improvements to continuously push our technology forward.
- A degree in Computer Science or a related discipline, or equivalent industry experience.
- Experience developing within a large existing codebase, collaborating or working independently within a large team.
- Strong Python programming skills.
- Experience creating Python bindings to C++ libraries.
- Familiarity with networking or inter-process communication techniques.
- Good communication skills, ability to clearly share complex technical information with other programmers, animators and technical artists.
Please note that these are desirable skills and are not required to apply for the position.
- Industry experience working on AAA character based games, or character based VFX animation.
- C++ or C# programming skills.
- Strong 3D math skills.
- Exposure to machine learning frameworks, such as Tensorflow or PyTorch.
- Experience with Python UI libraries, such as PyQt or PySide.
- Familiarity with Houdini.
- Experience creating plugins and tools for DCC packages.
- Proficiency in animating or rigging (using skeletal bones or blend shapes) in Motion Builder, 3DS Max, Maya, or Blender, etc.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply with a resume and cover letter demonstrating how you meet the skills above. If we would like to move forward with your application, a Rockstar recruiter will reach out to you to explain next steps and guide you through the process.
Rockstar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to hiring, promoting, and compensating employees based on their qualifications and demonstrated ability to perform job responsibilities.
If you’ve got the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We encourage applications from all suitable candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief, or race.