At Rockstar Games, we create world-class entertainment experiences.
A career at Rockstar Games is about being part of a team working on some of the most creatively rewarding and ambitious projects to be found in any entertainment medium. You would be welcomed to a dedicated and inclusive environment where you can learn, and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
Rockstar India is on the lookout for talented Vehicle Artists who have a passion for creating an incredible and varied range of vehicle artwork. This is a full-time permanent position based out of Rockstar’s unique game development studio in Bangalore.
WHAT WE DO
- The Vehicle Art team design, build and texture all modes of transport within our game worlds. If you can drive, ride, sail or fly in it, we will have created it.
- Our vehicles are not just modes of transport but an extension of a player’s personality and desires, their tastes and aesthetics – not only customizable and configurable, but with an inherent history for both the type of vehicle and the game-world brand it represents. From brand-new to worn and weathered, we want each vehicle to be a ‘character’ in its own right.
- We research in-depth and maintain understanding of all modes of transport – how they function and are constructed, and the cultural attachment people and the world at large have to them.
- We work with other internal departments in design, code and animation to make sure our vehicles work functionally with their expectations and needs.
- We work alongside other art departments to ensure our assets hit the highest visual standards and remain consistent with the entire game world visuals.
- You will work in a specialised vehicle department within a larger team that is very passionate about making industry leading games.
- We value individual design skills; including concept and creation of assets that are not carbon copies of existing vehicles - but still retain an essence and design feel of their specific real-world references and associated individual styling cues.
- You will gather research, design and model vehicle artwork in 3D, and follow our proven workflows to create functional parts both interior and exterior for them.
- You will work to create textures and shaders to faithfully describe accurate real-world material types, representing paint finishes, metals, wood, fabric and hides.
- Work with our engine tools to export and test your assets to the game, where you will test and maintain both the individual quality control and expected function of the asset.
- A comprehensive modelling and texturing portfolio showing a varied range of 3D vehicle art completed to a very high standard is required to apply.
- Extensive experience using 3DStudio Max for modelling, and Adobe Photoshop for texturing.
- A full understanding of all current generation production workflows, as they pertain to vehicle art asset production.
- A keen understanding and appreciation of structure and construction/silhouette in respect of modelling – resolution of assets relative to world scale and exceptional mesh topology skills.
- A detail obsessed eye for creating and manipulating texture maps for shader passes - diffuse, normal, spec, weathering etc. - and excellent understanding of the value of maximising UV space.
- A critical awareness of the expense/cost of a game asset relative to the target engine/rendering requirements – poly counts and texture sizes.
- A great team-player: Self-motivated with good communication skills.
- Able to accurately follow common goals and time-driven set tasks whilst working under own initiative. Effective time management skills to deliver the brief to deadlines without sacrificing quality.
- Skilled at feeding back on task progress to Leads and line managers.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with other team disciplines (code, design, animation, tools).
Please note that these are desirable skills and are not required to apply for the position.
- One or more years relevant development experience in-studio or in vehicle modding scene.
- Have shipped current generation console titles as a vehicle artist.
- Knowledge and understanding of a PBR based shader workflow.
- Experience with Quixel software suite or similar for shader development.
- Strong traditional art foundations: including but not limited to observational drawing, photography and technical illustration.
- Willingness to test and practically use new workflow tools, both internal and 3rd party.
- Strive to implement new techniques that increase art quality and efficiency across disciplines.
- Deep understanding and love of car culture.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply with a CV and cover-letter demonstrating how you meet the skills above. If we would like to move forward with your application, a Rockstar India recruiter will reach out to you to explain next steps and guide you through the process.
Rockstar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to hiring, promoting, and compensating employees based on their qualifications and demonstrated ability to perform job responsibilities.
If you’ve got the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We encourage applications from all suitable candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief, or race.