At Rockstar Games, we create world-class entertainment experiences.
A career at Rockstar Games is about being part of a team working on some of the most creatively rewarding and ambitious projects to be found in any entertainment medium. You would be welcomed to a dedicated and inclusive environment where you can learn, and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
Rockstar New England is looking for talented developers whose skill set combines technical excellence with a passion for making games. As part of the team you will be helping to code both missions, gameplay systems and tools. You will be required to engage with a range of classic game programming areas such as AI, physics, animation, UI, and data management among others. This is a full-time permanent position based out of Rockstar’s game development studio in the greater Boston area.
WHAT WE DO
- Our team creates the backbone upon which the rest of design team authors our game’s missions, random events, ambient life, and everything in between. Additionally, we create tools to facilitate said authoring, improve iteration times and increase the productivity of all teams, not just the design department.
- We assume responsibility for programming the design team’s systems, creating code which is often complex and intricate – both for single player and online content. That responsibility also extends to the analyzation and optimization of code created by our teammates and us.
- Our ability to implement design centric systems directly allows us to quickly iterate on new features and ideas, often with less of a dependence on the programming team. This frees both departments up from potential bottlenecks.
- As our systems affect many other teams and departments, we are proficient in both inter- and intra-studio communication, relying on and providing feedback to other teams, ultimately empowering us to create the immersive worlds we are known for.
- Work with the design team to architect, engineer, and implement new systems and tools to facilitate the creation of exciting new content by members of the design team.
- Liaise with multiple departments and studios to create and/or extend our systems and tools.
- Create and/or maintain systems and tools while managing strict deadlines against the needs of other developers.
- Provide clear and detailed reports of bugs to design and other teams.
- A Computer Science or Game Design degree with a programming focus is considered an advantage. However, relevant experience is taken into consideration.
- An online portfolio with examples of your work. Please include code examples.
- Strong programming skills within the scope of an object-oriented language.
- A strong understanding of top-down design, object-oriented programming, design patterns, and game design principles.
- Excellent communication, technical & problem-solving skills.
- Highly organized with proven ability to deliver on deadlines.
- Passionate about tools, systems, and methodologies that will support a team that is similarly passionate about creating games.
- Candidates must be highly motivated, positive and personable, with the ability to work as part of a team.
- Adaptable and ability to multi-task and prioritize work based on changing schedules and feedback/critiques with a detail-obsessed eye for quality.
Please note that these are desirable skills and are not required to apply for the position.
- Ability to architect, engineer, and implement clean and concise APIs.
- Prior experience working in medium to large sized development teams.
- Been an essential member of a team that has published or shipped a commercial game or application.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply with a resume and cover letter demonstrating how you meet the skills above. If we would like to move forward with your application, a Rockstar recruiter will reach out to you to explain next steps and guide you through the process.
Rockstar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to hiring, promoting, and compensating employees based on their qualifications and demonstrated ability to perform job responsibilities.
If you’ve got the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We encourage applications from all suitable candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief, or race.