Senior Director, Corporate Innovation Services (Food & AgTech), San Francisco
Founded in 2011 in Silicon Valley, RocketSpace is a global ecosystem of people and ideas that provide the necessary velocity - both speed and direction - to help the world’s top innovators bring the future to market. By uniting the highest quality corporate innovators, startups, and investors across a holistic platform, RocketSpace fuels collective growth for the entire innovation ecosystem.
We are a global organization and believe success won’t come from a single person, a single team, or a single campus. We define our success by how well we work together as a global team in the pursuit of mutual, long-term, meaningful impact. We aim to create an environment and corporate culture where you have the opportunity to combine your passion and ideas with those of your colleagues in order to help RocketSpace realize the full potential of the opportunity in front of us. Join us on this adventure.
RocketSpace’s Corporate Innovation Services (CIS) business supports corporations on their innovation journeys from visioning to scaling. CIS is razor-focused on future-proofing corporates by helping them to “see around corners,” identify and measure innovative ROI opportunities and understand their execution path to the future. Our expertise in corporate open innovation gives the corporate world the opportunity to identify and engage with startups around the globe to help drive disruptive innovation.
The Senior Director, Corporate Innovation Services - Food & AgTech will be based in San Francisco and act as the program director for RocketSpace’s Food & AgTech Practice. This person will be responsible for execution of Food & AgTech focused business initially in North America and then globally. RocketSpace aims to constantly deliver world-class innovation activity that brings together the best Food & AgTech startups with some of the world’s largest corporations to develop new ideas and business opportunities, to build and invest in ventures, to solve corporate innovation challenges, and support startups scale while using the most appropriate and forward-thinking innovation practices. This is a crucial role as we scale and expand globally. The Senior Director will act as the lead for the Food & AgTech Practice and will initially report directly to the Vice President of CIS. This is an exciting opportunity for the right person who has a passion for innovation and technology along with the right mix of experience to run and grow a global Innovation Consulting operation.
What you’ll do:
- Lead and manage the Food & AgTech focused consulting practice, introducing operational discipline while rapidly scaling the program.
- Lead and manage a team of 1-2 direct reports. Manage and coach consulting staff members in meeting their developmental goals.
- Work to establish a world-class Food & AgTech focused innovation consulting practice based on insights and data.
- Design and lead project teams in the delivery of custom engagements and associated outputs, taking ownership of day-to-day client management and the development of high-quality client deliverables and recommendations.
- Establish models for ROI and KPI to link strategy to execution of innovation activities.
- Cultivate strong, successful, and continuous relationships with our corporate clients and generate renewal engagements with them on an ongoing basis.
- Contribute to our proprietary knowledge base and Food & AgTech thought leadership by identifying and commentating on how consumer trends and marketplace shifts affect business/category/brand strategy and planning.
- Encourage a collaborative, high-performing culture with a focus on customer satisfaction.
- Work with leaders on messages, reinforcing, recommendations for recognition and driving the culture change forward.
- Be the voice/champion for the customer and be a powerful catalyst for greater business unit success.
- Engage with the company’s vertical management teams and collaborate with business unit leads relative to corporate and startup needs.
- Manage the P&L and budget, including resource allocation for the Food & AgTech practice and activity delivery, and ensuring profit margins are achieved.
- Great with teams, able to understand how to help internal and external teams work better to drive success.
- A relationship builder, who can listen, inform, and influence credibly customers, team members, and stakeholders at all levels.
- A compelling communicator, confident in negotiating and selling, with an ability to inspire others.
- Commited and tenacious to deliver quality outcomes against challenging milestones.
Experience & Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree required; MBA, Masters related to Food & AgTech or similar advanced degree preferred or equivalent working experience.
- Minimum 7+ years of business experience with an emphasis on Food & AgTech, strategy, innovation, and technology.
- Prior experience in directing multi-phase consulting engagements which leverage multiple knowledge sources, including applying trends information, and integrating primary and secondary level research.
- Strong ability to think strategically about client needs, market dynamics, market climate, core value proposition and business impact.
- Deep understanding of the Food & AgTech industry, startups & corporations (and the synoptic relationship that exists between them and how it will continue to evolve).
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial passion, acumen and experience; ability to explore business opportunities in a structured yet iterative way; experience with “lean startup”, agile, MVP, product model or similar development approaches.
- Strong sense of urgency and ability to test fast, learn fast, fail fast, and iterate successfully
- Excellent written and verbal communications.
- High level of intellectual curiosity and comfort with ambiguity.
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves and participate in delivering client engagements.
- Strong leader with excellent organization and people skills and the ability to set priorities, problem-solve, multitask, and work well in a dynamic, rapidly changing environment.
Benefits and Perks
RocketSpace team members enjoy competitive compensation and benefits program including generous time off, pension scheme, wellness incentives, cell phone allowance, commuter allowance to offset daily travel costs, discounted gym memberships, and more.
RocketSpace's policy is to provide equal opportunity to all persons without regard to race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, marital status, Vietnam era/disabled veteran status, physical or mental disability, genetics, or other protected classes prohibited by applicable law. Further, the company takes affirmative action to ensure that applicants are employed and employees are treated during employment without regard to any of these characteristics. Discrimination of any type will not be tolerated.