Rocket Travel by Agoda is looking for a Senior Software Engineer - Backend with experience with JVM languages like Scala, Java, Groovy, and Kotlin to join our engineering team.
At Rocket, we encourage experimentation, so we're not a one language/one framework shop. We hire people who know how to pick the right tool for the job and learn along the way. You'll be working on products which have evolved tremendously over the past several years to become the global market leader. You’ll be using the most current technologies and best practices to accomplish our goals. Our typical day involves the creation of new end to end systems, building advanced architectures, creation of new features on our high uptime / frequently published websites and apps, development of fast and reliable automated testing systems, and more.
Rocket Travel by Agoda is a place where you:
- Work with a group of intrinsically motivated people with a track record for building successful new businesses from scratch.
- Embody curiosity, community, accountability, taking moonshots, & rising together. We live and build products by these values every day.
- Own decisions and take action that can be implemented in a matter of days (or hours).
- Get inspired and encouraged to vacation faster, with an annual vacation stipend.
- Receive a competitive compensation package, including bonus, 401k with match, flexible vacation time, maternity and paternity benefits, health, and dental insurance.
- Total Compensation is based on experience - Salary: The starting point for this salary is 132k base + Bonus: up to 19%
- Can have the option to work remotely. Though we have great offices in Chicago’s West Loop and in NYC’s Empire State building, we have a hybrid team, a flexible work environment, and we welcome full-time remote applicants, too.
- Share your passion for travel with equally adventurous teammates.
- Work within the largest online travel company in the world. Rocket Travel creates B2C and B2B2C travel products and is part of Booking Holdings (BKNG). We have many worldwide partners and a diversified business. Despite the world’s current situation, Booking Holdings has been rated the healthiest company in travel, and Rocket itself is already seeing travel demand surpass pre-pandemic levels
As a Senior Software Engineer (Backend) at Rocket Travel by Agoda, you will:
- Be involved in all facets of the software development process from inception to deployment.
- Add visibility to critical applications and processes.
- Continue to evolve our architecture and build better software.
- Create A/B tests to bring our users a constantly improving experience.
- Improve existing code to make it more testable, tested, and resilient.
- Deploy daily to highly-available applications.
- Maintain a sense of empathy for our customers and move quickly where users are most acutely affected.
- Be a technical architect, mentor, and driver towards the right technology.
- You have worked with JVM tools and languages in a professional context for at least 4 years at an advanced-level.
- You have used at least one other JVM language other than Java, for at least one project (Java, Grails, Groovy, Scala, Kotlin or Closure).
- You have deployed applications to AWS or a similar cloud provider.
- You enjoy building new products, playing with APIs and data, and discovering and exploring new technologies and ideas
- You are passionate about sharing ownership and product direction for our customer-facing products or internal applications.
- You are passionate about learning and helping your teammates learn.
- You are passionate about how your code translates into a better customer experience.
- You are familiar with agile programming methodologies.
- You love to travel & have or will obtain a valid passport. Rocket loves sending their people to train and work with others in some of our global locations from time to time. Not a frequent request but just in case, we'd love to know you might have interest.
About Rocket Travel
Rocket Travel partners with loyalty programs around the world to make travel even more rewarding. Our customers can earn and redeem miles, points, and gift cards, or save big with exclusive discounts, for booking travel accommodations around the world, from global favorite brands to boutique bed and breakfasts. We also help our partners curate vacation excursion planning and car rental services, with a completely branded experience from the first search to check-out from their stay.
We attract customers from every corner of the globe with a user experience that's built in-house from ideation to finished product: our team includes front- and back-end developers, customer service, data analysts, designers, marketers, accountants, partnership sales, and managers. We have offices in Chicago, NYC, Bogota, Kuala Lumpur, Manila, and Cebu, as well as colleagues working remotely across four continents. Our global partnerships range from world-class airlines to international banks to large-scale shopping platforms.
We began in 2013 as a start-up, were acquired by Bookings Holdings two quick years later, and we've been growing rapidly ever since. Rocket Travel is dedicated to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace where everyone has the opportunity to reach new heights in their career, and expand their knowledge working alongside talented, dedicated colleagues. We encourage all applicants with a touch of wanderlust to apply to our team, as we work toward helping our travelers reach the vacation of their dreams.
Note on general employment requirements:
Candidates should be authorized to accept employment in the US from any employer, should be willing to start within three weeks of accepting an offer, and should be able to work the same daily working hours as our Chicago office.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
A Final Word:
To all recruitment agencies: Rocket Travel does not accept third party resumes. Please do not send resumes to our jobs alias, employees or any other organization location. Rocket Travel is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.