Rocket Travel is looking for a Director of Engineering to join our growing Engineering team. In this role, you’ll work closely with our VP of Engineering to define and execute on the strategic direction of our platform teams.
Rocket Travel is a place where you:
- Work with a group of intrinsically motivated people with a track record for building successful new businesses from scratch.
- Embody curiosity, community, and accountability. We live and build products by these values every day.
- Own decisions and take action that can be implemented in a matter of days (or hours).
- Get inspired and encouraged to vacation faster, with an annual vacation stipend.
- Receive a competitive compensation package, including bonus, 401k with match, flexible vacation time, maternity and paternity benefits, health, and dental insurance.
- Total Compensation is based on experience - Midpoint: $200k - $215k plus bonus
- Can have a flexible work schedule. We have great offices in Chicago’s West Loop and in NYC’s Empire State building, we have a hybrid team, and a flexible work environment
- Share your passion for travel with equally adventurous teammates.
- Work within the largest online travel company in the world. Rocket Travel creates B2C and B2B2C travel products and is part of Booking Holdings (BKNG). We have many worldwide partners and a diversified business. Despite the world’s current situation, Booking Holdings has been rated the healthiest company in travel, and Rocket itself is already seeing travel demand surpass pre-pandemic levels
As a Director of Engineering at Rocket Travel, you will:
- Assist the VP of Engineering to define and execute the strategic direction of our platform teams . You see the bigger picture and know when to get into the details and when to step out.
- Deliver integrated solutions working with engineering, product and other technology leaders
- Act as the key technology liaison for Partner launches. You empathize with the partner experience while maintaining quality and sustainability within the development process.
- Track and Report project progress to the business and to the partner.
- Manage and coach engineer managers of multiple teams. Some managers will be very new to the role while others have experience. You know how to coach each to develop them to their full potential, guiding them to create or develop along their career path.
- Manage your teams’ deadlines across multiple projects There will be short turnarounds for some projects, and longer engagements for others. You know how to manage your time and balance both.
- Continuously improve team processes, tooling and quality. You can spot inefficiencies and problems. You know how to engage teams to address the root cause of issues on a continuous basis.
- You’ve worked with global teams. We’re looking for someone with 3-5 years of experience across multiple teams in multiple geographies.
- You have experience mentoring engineering managers. You’ve directly managed engineering managers, coached on career growth, team resiliency, overall performance management providing candid feedback as a means to growth..
- You seek feedback. You have a growth mindset, are comfortable soliciting thoughts from others, and are curious to learn from a spectrum of perspectives.
- You balance exploration with execution. Exploration and execution are both key to building innovative experiences. You understand when it’s time to explore and when it’s time to deliver.
- You get architecture. You’ve been a driver in technical architectural designs and planning. You know how to get to a solution balancing many different voices, opinions and needs.
- You are comfortable speaking to senior leaders both internally and externally. You clearly communicate ideas, plans and progress with a sharp understanding of your audience
About Rocket Travel:
We make travel more rewarding than anyone else
Rocket Travel awards customers for booking travel through our products, allowing people to earn or use loyalty benefits from their favorite loyalty programs.
We began in 2013 with the same goal of making travel even more rewarding. This started with our bespoke Rocketmiles website, earning travelers their favorite airline loyalty miles for hotel bookings, and every year since, we’ve advanced our goal.
We now partner with over 60 loyalty programs that travelers can choose from, we build unique partner-branded travel sites, we offer the ability to earn and redeem loyalty rewards, we sit within Booking Holdings—the most experienced Group of travel companies in the world—and we continually grow the number of ways that people can book travel through us, from stays to cars and more.
Travel constantly evolves, opening additional opportunities to create rewarding experiences, and we intend to be at the forefront of building and innovating on those for travelers worldwide.
A diverse and global team
Our teammates work across the globe, in person and remotely. We have offices in Chicago, NYC, Bangkok, Bogota, Kuala Lumpur, Manila, and Cebu. No matter where people work, our main team-building goal is to create a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment. We do that with a Diversity and Inclusion Committee, setting DEI hiring goals, investing in employee retention, and conducting regular team training that fosters collaboration and morale.
All of these efforts help ensure that we’re promoting a supportive workplace, where people are motivated to grow professionally and build rewarding travel experiences together.
Note on general employment requirements
Candidates should be authorized to accept employment in the US from any employer, should be willing to start within three weeks of accepting an offer, and should be able to work the same daily working hours as our Chicago office.
A final word
If the idea of working within an environment that promotes accountability, curiosity, and community to build reward travel products sounds motivating to you, we would love to hear from you—even if you’re unable to meet 100% of the job requirements. We never expect people to have all of the answers, as long as they’re willing and able to learn and grow with us.