Rocket Travel is looking for a Senior Data Scientist with experience in Python and SQL to join our growing Data Science Team. Remote employment is an option for this role
The Data Science Team oversees building internal-facing decision making tools and product-facing production models that aid in scaling our growing business.
Rocket Travel is a place where you:
- Work with a group of intrinsically motivated people with a track record for building successful new businesses from scratch.
- Embody curiosity, community, and accountability. We live and build products by these values every day.
- Own decisions and take action that can be implemented in a matter of days (or hours).
- Get inspired and encouraged to vacation faster, with an annual vacation stipend.
- Receive a competitive compensation package, including bonus, 401k with match, flexible vacation time, maternity and paternity benefits, health, and dental insurance.
- Total Compensation is based on experience - Sign-on Bonus + Salary: $115k - $150k + Bonus: 15% - 20%
- Can have the option to work remotely. Though we have great offices in Chicago’s West Loop and in NYC’s Empire State building, we have a hybrid team, a flexible work environment, and we welcome full-time remote applicants, too.
- Share your passion for travel with equally adventurous teammates.
- Work within the largest online travel company in the world. Rocket Travel creates B2C and B2B2C travel products and is part of Booking Holdings (BKNG). We have many worldwide partners and a diversified business. Despite the world’s current situation, Booking Holdings has been rated the healthiest company in travel, and Rocket itself is already seeing travel demand surpass pre-pandemic levels
As a Senior Data Scientist at Rocket Travel, you will:
- Develop and iterate on models that help us grow our business. Examples of projects could include:
- Iterating and improving our search result ranking model
- Evaluating and Prototyping new metrics to measure A/B test results
- Designing data pipeline models to structure our front-end data
- Collaborate with developers and business owners to further define requirements for projects and drive business value. Some projects may not be fully defined, so you should be comfortable with ambiguity and take a resourceful approach to what’s needed and drive results.
- Own projects end-to-end, which includes opportunity for data engineering tasks such as creating data pipelines for models, and having and opinion on how our productions models should be structured
- Evolve the Rocket data science toolkit by identifying and recommending best tools for each task. Examples of technologies that we experimented and adopted in the past include: MLflow, Sagemaker, Zeppelin Notebooks
- You have worked with SQL/Python (numpy, pandas) for at least 3 years in a professional setting. Bonus points if you have worked with Docker and AWS
- You have excellent understanding of machine learning and statistics as well as coding proficiency using open source libraries and frameworks
- You are intellectually curious and self-directed problem solver, keen to work on a variety of data projects
- You are passionate about how your data projects translates into better customer experience and higher business value
- You communicate clearly and effectively
About Rocket Travel
We make travel more rewarding than anyone else
Rocket Travel awards customers for booking travel through our products, allowing people to earn or use loyalty benefits from their favorite loyalty programs.
We began in 2013 with the same goal of making travel even more rewarding. This started with our bespoke Rocketmiles website, earning travelers their favorite airline loyalty miles for hotel bookings, and every year since, we’ve advanced our goal.
We now partner with over 60 loyalty programs that travelers can choose from, we build unique partner-branded travel sites, we offer the ability to earn and redeem loyalty rewards, we sit within Booking Holdings—the most experienced Group of travel companies in the world—and we continually grow the number of ways that people can book travel through us, from stays to cars and more.
Travel constantly evolves, opening additional opportunities to create rewarding experiences, and we intend to be at the forefront of building and innovating on those for travelers worldwide.
A diverse and global team
Our teammates work across the globe, in person and remotely. We have offices in Chicago, NYC, Bangkok, Bogota, Kuala Lumpur, Manila, and Cebu. No matter where people work, our main team-building goal is to create a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment. We do that with a Diversity and Inclusion Committee, setting DEI hiring goals, investing in employee retention, and conducting regular team training that fosters collaboration and morale.
All of these efforts help ensure that we’re promoting a supportive workplace, where people are motivated to grow professionally and build rewarding travel experiences together.
Note on general employment requirements
Candidates should be authorized to accept employment in the US from any employer, should be willing to start within three weeks of accepting an offer, and should be able to work the same daily working hours as our Chicago office.
A final word
If the idea of working within an environment that promotes accountability, curiosity, and community to build reward travel products sounds motivating to you, we would love to hear from you—even if you’re unable to meet 100% of the job requirements. We never expect people to have all of the answers, as long as they’re willing and able to learn and grow with us.