Rocket Travel, Inc., a subsidiary of Booking Holdings, is looking for a Senior Software Engineer - Backend with experience with JVM languages like Java, Groovy, and Kotlin to join our engineering team.
The Rocket Travel team is based in Chicago’s West Loop, which is currently fully remote. Remote employment is an option for this role, but once it’s safe to travel and our office reopens, periodic trips to Chicago will be encouraged.
You will be involved in all facets of the software development process, from inception to deployment. You should enjoy building new products, playing with APIs and data, and discovering and exploring new technologies and ideas.
At Rocket, we encourage experimentation, so we're not a one language/one framework shop. We hire people who know how to pick the right tool for the job and learn along the way. We regularly use domain specific languages like Groovy and Kotlin in our daily work.
You will be helping our team pursue challenges including:
- Adding visibility to critical applications and processes.
- Evolving the Rocket toolkit by identifying and recommending the best tool for each task.
- Creating A/B tests to bring our users a constantly improving experience.
- Improving existing code to make it more testable, tested, and resilient.
- Deploying daily to highly-available applications.
- Maintaining a sense of empathy for our customers and moving quickly where users are most acutely affected.
- You have worked with JVM tools and languages in a professional context for at least 3 years at an advanced-level.
- You have used at least one other JVM language other than Java, for at least one project (Groovy, Scala, Kotlin or Clojure).
- You have deployed applications to AWS or a similar cloud provider.
- You are passionate about sharing ownership and product direction for our customer-facing products or internal applications.
- You are passionate about learning and helping your teammates learn.
- You are passionate about how your code translates into a better customer experience.
- You are familiar with agile programming methodologies.
- Having ownership in our products and our customers' experiences, and take actions that can be implemented and deployed in a matter of hours.
- Collaborating closely with experienced business, design, and technology teammates.
- Working with intrinsically motivated folks with a track record for delivering great products.
- Developing software using AWS, GitHub, modern development practices, and the best tools available.
- Receiving a competitive compensation package, including bonus, health/dental insurance, and 401k matching.
- Total Compensation is based on experience - Salary: $115k - $150k & Bonus: 15% - 20%
- Choosing your own computer/gear.
- Receiving a monthly cell phone and ISP stipend.
- Enjoying flexible PTO policy and free travel credits.
- Learning at periodic engineering lunch-and-learns.
- Enjoying free snacks, drinks, and coffee at our Chicago office in the West Loop ( if you are working in the Chicago office).
About Rocket Travel
Rocket Travel partners with companies around the world to make travel even more rewarding. Our customers can earn and redeem miles, points, and gift cards, or save big with exclusive discounts, for booking travel accommodations around the world, from global favorite brands to boutique bed and breakfasts. We also help our partners curate vacation excursion planning and car rental services, with a completely branded experience from the first search to check-out from their stay.
We attract customers from every corner of the globe with a user experience that's built in-house from ideation to finished product: our team includes front- and back-end developers, customer service, data analysts, designers, marketers, accountants, partnership sales, and managers. We have offices in Chicago, NYC, Bangkok, Bogota, Kuala Lumpur, Manila, and Cebu, as well as colleagues working remotely across four continents. Our global partnerships range from world-class airlines to international banks to large-scale shopping platforms.
We began in 2013 as a start-up, were acquired by Bookings Holdings two quick years later, and we've been growing rapidly ever since. Rocket Travel is dedicated to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace where everyone has the opportunity to reach new heights in their career, and expand their knowledge working alongside talented, dedicated colleagues. We encourage all applicants with a touch of wanderlust to apply to our team, as we work toward helping our travelers reach the vacation of their dreams.
Candidates should be authorized to accept employment in the US from any employer, should be willing to start within three weeks of accepting an offer, and should be able to work the same daily working hours as our Chicago office.
At Rocket Travel, we’re building a diverse team that values accountability, curiosity, and community. If you share these values and are interested in joining us, we’d love to talk with you even if you don’t meet 100% of the requirements listed here. We don’t expect anyone to have all the answers, as long as they’re willing to learn and grow with us. Diversity, equity and inclusion are Rocket Travel priorities, and we are looking for candidates who will contribute positively to the company's mission to be an inclusive environment. Rocketmiles has multiple employee resource groups, including a diversity and inclusion committee, and has committed to DEI goals in hiring, employee retention, and the overall demographics of the organization. DEI is an important element of our values and we conduct ongoing and regular training for our teammates in an effort to foster collaboration, improve morale, and support one another.