Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,300 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
About Rocket Lab
Rocket Lab is the global leader in small satellite launch. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. There are endless possibilities for what we can achieve with better access to space, and that access is now a reality thanks to Rocket Lab. Collaboration is at our core - every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
About the role
Rocket Lab seeks a Principal Systems Engineer to help build the Neutron platform: Rocket Lab’s medium lift, reusable launch vehicle capable of human spaceflight. As a Principal Systems Engineer, you will guide a set of multi-disciplinary teams to align Neutron’s portfolio of launch vehicle, production, and ground systems with the program’s strategy; functional, performance, and safety requirements; and technical maturity phases. Rocket Lab systems engineers combine technical excellence with strengths in technical planning and communication.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Engineering (or equivalent experience)
- 7+ year’s systems engineering experience in a relevant technical field (i.e. Aerospace, Marine, Automotive, Rail)
- Demonstrated experience in supporting complex multidisciplinary systems with hardware, embedded software, application software and mechanical components
- Proven track record of cross functional leadership and mentorship on projects from concept to completion
- Proven communication skills and the ability to build strong working relationships with colleagues and engineering professionals
- Strong desire to learn new material in order to solve difficult, ambiguous challenges
- Experience with fault-tolerance strategies and architectures for safety and mission critical systems
- Experience in Systems Engineering tools e.g. Rhapsody, DOORS, Jama
- Familiarity with physical and cyber security processes
- Familiarity with parts, materials, and process engineering (PMP) for high reliability systems
- Familiarity with applicable software standards: i.e. NPR 7150.2
- Familiarity with applicable quality management standards i.e. AS9100
- Familiarity with risk management processes
Rocket Lab Employee Benefits
- The opportunity to work on innovative and ground breaking technology
- An employee stock purchase program
- Access to world leading experts to develop your career
- Unlimited barista coffee, fruit and snacks
- Rocket Lab merchandise – T-shirts, mission patches etc.
- Discounted health insurance with Southern Cross
- Additional parental leave entitlements
- A vibrant team culture with social activities throughout the year
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S Department of State.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.