Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,300 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
Neutron is a medium lift launch vehicle capable of delivering the mega constellations of tomorrow, high assurance payloads, and human spaceflight. As a highly reusable launch platform, Neutron will deliver a highly cost-effective and reliable launch solution leveraging Rocket Lab’s proven execution history with the Electron program. If you’re interested in joining a high performing team, pushing the boundaries with a clean sheet development of re-usable liquid launch vehicle, this is your opportunity!
COMPONENT MANUFACTURING & TEST ENGINEER - NEUTRON
Based out of Rocket Lab's headquarters in Long Beach, CA the Component Manufacturing and Test Engineer is responsible for bringing fluid component designs into the real world and assuring they meet the stringent requirements needed for the Neutron program. You will support the Director of Fluid Systems and Fluid Systems organization by standing up a new component development area, supporting component designs early and leading assembly and testing of Neutron components.
WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO:
- Lead design & build of the Neutron & Archimedes component development area in Long Beach
- Influence the design of critical Neutron components early in the program to aid in producibility, cost and reliability
- Oversee introduction and implementation of new products and product revisions
- Own assembly, checkouts and development testing of Neutron components as designs are matured
- Develop the procedures & processes for component assembly & test that will form the baseline for the Neutron program into the future
- When required, lead problem containment and root cause/corrective action investigations
- Quickly analyze and resolve manufacturing discrepancies and non-conformances
- Collaborate with the quality team to identify and drive quality-related initiatives and improvements
- Perform structured root cause analysis of in-process failures
- Liaison between production, quality, supply chain and design engineering staff for complex problem solving and process changes
- Identify, plan and execute capital equipment, machine, and layout upgrades to meet production requirements, including preparation of business cases
- Lead the continuous improvement process via Lean/Six Sigma tools and techniques
- Develop, introduce, and maintain new planning, production, quality, ERP, data collection and analysis, and other processes where none exist
YOU’LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering or related fields
- 2 years experience troubleshooting valves, actuators, regulators or similar fluid components during assembly, functional checkouts or while undergoing development and qualification testing
- Experience setting up and operating a fluid component assembly line or build area
THESE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE:
- 4+ years experience with aerospace component design, build & testing
- Previous history of planning, building, activating & operating component test stands for development, qualification and production acceptance testing
- Strong knowledge of manufacturing processes common to fluid components
- Experience with assembly & testing of turbomachinery and combustion devices
- Extensive experience using fundamentals of fluid and structural mechanics to solve component issues in a fast-paced environment
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S Department of State.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.