Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,300 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
AVIONICS MANUFACTURING ENGINEER
Based out of Rocket Lab's Headquarters in Long Beach, California the Avionics Manufacturing Engineer is responsible to support all aspects of Avionics production. You will support the Director of Manufacturing and the Production organization, with deliverables required for internal leadership, board of directors, and investors.
WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO:
- support Avionics production by removing production blockers, dispositioning issue tickets, and performing root cause and corrective actions.
- develop, implement, and continuously improve avionics processes through strong working knowledge of EEE piece parts, PCB, PCBA, electromechanical assembly, tooling, test, and quality techniques.
Key responsibilities include:
- Quickly analyze and resolve manufacturing discrepancies and non-conformances
- When required, lead problem containment and root cause/corrective action investigations
- Collaborate with the quality team to identify and drive quality-related initiatives and improvements
- Perform structured root cause analysis of in-process failures
- Liaison between production, quality, supply chain, and design engineering staff for complex problem solving and process changes
Process and Tooling:
- Develop production procedures and processes and ensure they are accurately and clearly documented to allow repeatable and reliable manufacturing
- Work closely with responsible design engineers to provide solutions for reliability and quality of electromechanical assemblies and associated test fixtures
- Develop and execute unique test methods for mission-critical and safety-critical avionics hardware (characterize and qualify circuits used in flight computers, power-electronics systems, and guidance, navigation, and control (GNC) systems).
- Provide engineering support for day-to-day production and quality processes
- Perform training of production personnel and leadership on new and existing processes and procedures
Design for Manufacturability:
- Contribute and steer design reviews, acting as an expert in design for manufacture and test.
- Oversee introduction and implementation of new products and product revisions
- Continuous Improvement:
- Identify, plan and execute capital equipment, machine, and layout upgrades to meet production requirements, including preparation of business cases
- Lead the continuous improvement process via Lean/Six Sigma tools and techniques
- Develop, introduce, and maintain new planning, production, quality, ERP, data collection and analysis, and other processes where none exist
YOU’LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, or equivalent
- 2+ years of experience in a manufacturing environment
- Ability to create and deliver accurate and concise presentations for design, manufacturing, and quality
- Capable of solving complex problems with little to no supervision in a timely manner
THESE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE:
- Experience transitioning products from design to production as a part of cross-functional team in a fast-paced, iterative design environment
- Working experience with environmental acceptance/production acceptance testing, such as vibration, shock, thermal, and vacuum
- Understanding of instrumentation, interfaces, and sensors including power supplies, oscilloscopes, serial devices, switch topologies, accelerometers, thermocouples, RTDs, and 4-20mA sensors
- Knowledge of electronic circuits, design principles, and manufacturing techniques
- Moderate proficiency with computer programming languages (Python, LabVIEW, C, C++, C#, SQL, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience with DFMEA, PFMEA methodologies, Fault Tree Analysis, Pareto analysis, root cause and corrective action
- Working experience with capacity modeling, process mapping, Lean/Six Sigma, and value stream mapping
- SPC knowledge and experience applying statistical methods to track process capability and performance
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S Department of State.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.