Why Rocket Lab (View USA jobs)
Rocket Lab is the global leader in small satellite launch. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. There are endless possibilities for what we can achieve with better access to space, and that access is now a reality thanks to Rocket Lab. Our team is 500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core - every idea is heard and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly and we are action-oriented.
While other companies talk about it, we do it!
THE PHOTON PROGRAM
Rocket Lab is seeking exceptional engineers to work on its Photon satellite program. Photon is a first-of-its-kind platform in the small satellite industry: a versatile satellite bus that is also an integral part of the launch vehicle. Photon has been selected by NASA to deploy a CubeSat to the Moon in 2021 as a pathfinder for Gateway, the program to return humans to the lunar surface. As the Electrical Integration and Test Engineer, you’ll play a pivotal role in making this mission a success.
Engineers within the Photon team have a unique opportunity to help shape this space system and, given the high launch cadence of Electron, have unparalleled opportunities for end-to-end system development and on-orbit operations. The successful candidate will have a strong set of technical skills, will have experience in related projects, and will thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
Senior Systems Integration and Test Engineer
Reporting to the program Chief Engineer and collaboratively closely with team members across all subsystems, the Senior Systems Integration and Test Engineer will be responsible for understanding how various subsystems are interconnected at a subsystem and system level. They will be responsible for leading spacecraft programs through integration and testing, and will work hands-on with flight and test hardware to ensure mission success and to solve engineering problems as they arise. This position requires strong engineering intuition and the ability to work with minimal oversight.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead and own integration and test campaigns at various levels of spacecraft development.
- Work collaboratively with team members to define system requirements as well as verification and validation plans.
- Work hands-on with both prototype and flight hardware.
- Develop and maintain hardware-in-the-loop test systems to support software development and system verification.
- Work with program managers and other system stakeholders to ensure requirements are well defined and verifiable through the integration campaign.
- Develop and maintain test and integration facilities, as well as lab equipment.
- Responsible for planning spacecraft integration flow, and to work closely with designers from initial design through to execution.
- Lead investigations into anomalous vehicle behavior.
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor of Science in Aerospace, Mechanical, Electrical, or equivalent engineering degree. Advance degree preferred.
- 6+ years of experience specifically on satellite development programs.
- Must be comfortable with hands-on testing and to determine root cause analysis.
- Experience with environmental testing, such as thermal vacuum or random vibration testing.
- Understanding of key spacecraft subsystems and their associated components including; attitude determination and control (ADCS), electrical power systems (EPS), space-ground communications, on-orbit command and data handling (C&DH), and thermal control.
- Hands-on experience using electrical test equipment.
- Expertise in Python, MATLAB, NX.
- Proficiency with Teamcenter, SolidWorks.
- Demonstrated success working in a dynamic environment with multiple priorities.
- Familiar with spacecraft harness design and best practices.
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Experience with requirements management.
- Experience with satellite operations.
- Experience with hardware-in-the-loop testing.
- Basic level of knowledge of networking.
To conform to US Government space technology export regulations, applicants must be a US citizen, lawful permanent resident of the US, protected individual as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorization from the US Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
View more Rocket Lab USA openings here! https://boards.greenhouse.io/rocketlab