WHY ROCKET LAB
Rocket Lab is the global leader in small satellite launch. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. There are endless possibilities for what we can achieve with better access to space, and that access is now a reality thanks to Rocket Lab. Our team is 500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core - every idea is heard and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly and we are action-oriented.
While other companies talk about it, we do it!
Lead Fabrication Technician
The primary responsibility of the Lead Fabrication Technician is to lead efforts related to the safety, quality, delivery, personnel development & training, and 5S of their designated area.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Leads are expected to communicate with their techs/operators, engineering, supply chain, and management to ensure their area have all required support to deliver a quality product on time.
The lead will need to drive his team to deliver to schedule
- Schedule daily operations in such a way that it supports the overarching delivery requirements for the week and/or the flight set.
- The lead will be given delivery targets on a daily and weekly basis (further out if needed)
- Communication of all potential blockers to delivery with suggested solutions and action owners.
- The lead shall foster the skillset growth/development of their team, improving the group’s overall value to the company (Can support other areas and maximize downtime). This includes product-focused skills and operational support skills (5S/Lean, Redmine, LN, and Flame).
- The lead is also the cultural leader of the team; therefore upholding team attendance, productivity, yield, utilization 5S, and tool control are responsibilities of the lead.
- Support the company’s value of “we are fiercely efficient” by showing a conscientious awareness to utilizing our financial resources as if they were your own. One example of this would be putting your hand up on a scrapping a part if you knew this Not-for-flight part could be used as a training aid.
The lead will own reporting and actioning the metrics below:
- Safety (near misses/accidents)
- Scheduled delivery
The lead will own actions from reviewing reports on the following areas:
- Workmanship quality
- Attendance and productivity discipline
Systems Engineering/ Process Development
The lead shall be the main driver for quality improvements in their area
- Approve rework instructions once released from engineering department from a production perspective
- Work to eliminate workmanship issues
- Help to identify root cause
- Solicited feedback from their team in order ensure continuous process improvement in the form of better work instructions, tooling, etc.
Health and Safety
The lead shall be the safety rep for their area, performing or partaking in weekly safety walks to identify and mitigate any concerns.
- The lead shall drive safety actions to completion.
- The lead needs to show enough courage to stop any process in any department that they deem as unsafe
- The lead technician of the area shall have a high level of expertise in the area/s they run.
- In the case that a lead runs multiple areas, they are expected to understand all owned areas at a basic level, as to set realistic expectations for production.
- The lead shall demonstrate the ability to help develop process improvements and work with engineers/management to implement positive changes that affect the safety, quality, efficiency, and ease of the operation.
- The lead shall have working knowledge of all internal and external documents (i.e. specifications, work instructions, etc.) related to their department as well as any quality requirements as defined in the drawing and/or work instructions. This allows the lead to better hold their team accountable for any quality escapes while also articulating any needed improvements to the process.
- The lead is expected to fully understand and ensure adherence to the non-conformance process within their team.
- The lead is expected to be able to proficient in MRP and Work order systems (LN and Flame) in order to keep the team working efficiently and accurately
The lead shall be expected to hold their team accountable for meeting the standards set by both the company and the Manager/Supervisor of the area.
- If disciplinary action is warranted, this will be handled by the Supervisor or manager of the area with Lead input.
The lead shall demonstrate the ability to effectively delegate work to their team and successfully articulate the needs of the business.
- The lead is expected to successfully communicate cross-functionally.
- We work in a dynamic environment and change is constant. The lead expected to be able plan accordingly and communicate blockers, risk, and slip across departments promptly and clearly. The lead shall drive support function actions against the planned delivery/targets. This will be measured by tracking slip to schedule, both occurrences and level of slip (how much slip).
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.