About the company
Robinhood is democratizing finance for all. With customers at the heart of our decisions, Robinhood is lowering barriers, removing fees, and providing greater access to financial information. Together, we are building products and services that help create a financial system everyone can participate in.
Robinhood is a fast-growing company and was recognized as a CNBC Disruptor 50 and a LinkedIn Top Startup in 2019. We’re continuing to grow and are looking for incredible talent that can help us achieve our mission.
Robinhood is headquartered in Menlo Park, California, with offices in Lake Mary, Florida, Denver, Colorado, and London, UK.
About the role
We’re looking for an exceptional, hands-on technical leader to help us centralize, maintain and improve Robinhood’s critical testing technologies. As a financial institution, Robinhood holds its services and products to the highest quality standards. As such, every Robinhood engineer carefully tests our code and our services with unit, integration and production tests. Given the paramount importance of test quality and speed to our firm, we are excited to build a new a team dedicated to helping us expand and improve our testing capabilities.
This team will build tools for testing systems that are running in production, especially using load testing and chaos testing techniques. This team will also be responsible for building detailed availability monitoring, which will become our primary quality metric. Building these tools is challenging, enjoyable work. Generating load isn’t easy and simulating the kind of complex failure modes that we encounter in production is itself a complex and advanced distributed systems problem.
This journey will require sophisticated knowledge of distributed systems and a desire to build cutting edge tools for developers. The best candidates for this role will combine operational awareness with product and systems thinking. Come help a fast-growing engineering corps employ cutting edge techniques to make our systems antifragile to change.
Your day-to-day will involve:
- Help to increase the fidelity and frequency of Robinhood’s production testing.
- Develop a plan to adopt widespread Chaos Testing and Availability Monitoring in a safe and compliant way.
- Define the team’s roadmap, technical direction, success metrics, and hiring strategy.
- Work with other key service owners within engineering to help them test their services
- Hire world-class engineers and manage them.
- Advocate for quality and reliability across Robinhood engineering
- Recruit backend and web frontend engineers who are passionate about testing and quality
- Share the story of Robinhood’s investments and progress in this critical area with the software industry
Some things we consider critical for this role:
- 3+ years of software engineering management experience.
- Experience building complex and cutting-edge distributed systems
- Passion for well-crafted tools
- Experience with front-end web development
- Interest in software engineering best practices such as testing, static analysis, continuous integration, delivery, and deployment.
- Great communication skills and enthusiasm for teamwork
- Experience building larger technical teams from scratch.
- Experience working and managing across offices and timezones.
- Experience with high-growth startups.
- Experience with load and/or chaos testing.
- Experience with React, Kubernetes and/or Kafka.
Feeling ready to give 100% to democratizing finance for all? We’d love to have you apply, even if you feel unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Robinhood, we’re looking for people invigorated by our mission, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.