About the company
Robinhood is democratizing our financial system. With customers at the heart of our decisions, Robinhood is lowering barriers, removing fees, and providing greater access to financial information. Together, we are building products and services that help create a financial system everyone can participate in.
Robinhood is a fast-growing company and was recognized as a CNBC Disruptor 50 and a LinkedIn Top Startup in 2019. We’re continuing to grow and are looking for incredible talent that can help us achieve our mission.
Robinhood is headquartered in Menlo Park, California, with offices in Lake Mary, Florida, and London, UK.
About the role
Robinhood’s legal team is looking for an attorney to provide day-to-day legal advice on anti-money laundering, counter-terrorism financing, economic sanctions and export control matters. This role will entail, among other things, supporting the Compliance Department primarily but will also work closely with business partners working on Robinhood’s products and services. We are looking for a highly adaptable and collaborative person who can handle ambiguity and rapidly shifting priorities with flexibility and patience. This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing company and contribute to our mission to democratize finance for all.
Your day-to-day will involve:
- Developing and supporting the Company’s AML, Economic Sanctions, and Export Control programs and associated activities in the U.S. and globally.
- Interpreting and advising on Bank Secrecy Act and global AML regulations, USA PATRIOT Act, OFAC and global economic sanctions regulations, and export control regulations;
- Assist in the design and implementation of company-wide compliance programs and initiatives, including compliance policies, processes and training;
- Creating and managing associated regulatory submissions and filings and reporting on regulatory requirements internally and in public filings;
- Evaluating business proposals for AML, economic sanctions, and export control regulatory compliance;
- Counsel and advise on activities relating to U.S. and international sanctions regimes
- Assist in the design and implementation of company-wide compliance programs and initiatives, including compliance policies, processes and training
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, such as Public Policy, Human Resources, Product, and Finance to coordinate compliance programs and initiatives
- Undertake special projects and support other compliance program initiatives
Some things we consider critical for this role:
- J.D. degree (or foreign equivalent) and membership in at least 1 U.S. state bar
- 8+ years of legal practice experience, with at least 6 years specializing in AML, economic sanctions, and export control regulatory compliance.
- Experience as AML regulatory counsel in trade association, corporate, government or law firm environment
- In-house legal experience
- Experience with technology and/or financial services companies
- Experience in payments industry, banking or financial services sector, with experience with the emerging and mobile payment technology landscape a plus
- Ability to provide practical, strategic and business-oriented legal advice
- Ability to effectively represent Visa before a variety of governmental bodies at state and federal levels
- Ability to build strong working relationships with internal clients at all levels of management and work within cross-functional teams to develop solutions to complex legal/business issues
- Ability to effectively manage multiple time sensitive tasks
- Must be detail-oriented and demonstrate strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
Feeling ready to give 100% to democratizing our financial system? We’d love to have you apply, even if you feel unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Robinhood, we’re looking for people invigorated by our mission, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.