About the company
Robinhood is democratizing our financial system. With customers at the heart of our decisions, Robinhood is lowering barriers, removing fees, and providing greater access to financial information. Together, we are building products and services that help create a financial system everyone can participate in.
Robinhood is a fast-growing company and was recognized as a CNBC Disruptor 50 and a LinkedIn Top Startup in 2019. We’re continuing to grow and are looking for incredible talent that can help us achieve our mission.
Robinhood is headquartered in Menlo Park, California, with offices in Lake Mary, Florida, and London, UK.
About the role
Robinhood’s legal department is looking for an attorney with extensive experience in securities law with a focus on broker-dealer regulatory and compliance issues and who has experience building and managing teams and advising senior management. We are looking for a highly adaptable and collaborative person who can handle ambiguity and rapidly shifting priorities with flexibility and patience. This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing company and contribute to our mission to democratize our financial system.
Your day-to-day will involve:
- Managing a team of experienced attorneys
- Navigating complex regulatory frameworks to provide advice relative to designing innovative financial products and services
- Demonstrating excellent judgment and advising senior leaders at the company as to complex legal questions and issues.
- Leading a team to advise on revisions to the firm’s systems and procedures to meet the requirements of new rules/regulations
- Leading a team that manages interactions with regulators, outside counsel, and other parties
- Leading a team that serves as subject matter experts regarding securities and capital markets questions and providing legal analysis and recommendations that impact product design, regulatory approvals, and compliance
Some things we consider critical for this role:
- J.D. degree from an ABA accredited law school (or foreign equivalent)
- Membership in at least 1 U.S. State Bar, with good standing
- 12+ years of legal practice experience, with at least 8+ years in the financial services regulatory field
- Experience building and leading teams
- Demonstrated good judgment and provision of advice related to complicated securities legal issues to senior management
- Expertise in managing a team that researches, applies, and communicates legal requirements in the financial services space in a regulatory context
- Expertise in leading and overseeing financial regulatory audit/examination processes
- Direct prior experience with financial services regulators (FINRA, SEC)
- Demonstrated leadership advising senior management as to significant legal issues
- At least two of the following work experiences:
- Top law firms in a securities practice focused on broker dealers
- Prominent legal/examination groups focused on broker dealer within a regulator (SEC, FINRA, CFTC)
- In-house legal departments with a focus on broker dealer and trading matters
- Legal education: degree from top law school, recognized academic achievement in law school, or law review experiences
- Deep knowledge of federal securities with a particular depth of knowledge regarding retail brokerage issues including margin, options, securities lending, etc.
- Eagerness to learn about new and emerging technologies
Feeling ready to give 100% to democratizing our financial system? We’d love to have you apply, even if you feel unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Robinhood, we’re looking for people invigorated by our mission, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.