About the Company
Robinhood is democratising our financial system. With customers at the heart of our decisions, Robinhood is lowering barriers, removing fees, and providing greater access to financial information. Together, we are building products and services that help create a financial system everyone can participate in. Since launching in the U.S., Robinhood has empowered more than ten million Americans to participate in the financial markets. Now, we’re working on bringing Robinhood’s commission-free investing platform to the UK, our first international market. Be a part of the small and fast-growing London team that’s scaling our mission globally.
Robinhood was named Fast Company’s 11th Most Innovative Company in the world (2016), a CNBC Disruptor 50 (2019), and recognised on LinkedIn’s Top Startups list (2018 & 2019). We’re backed with more than $860 million in capital from top-tier investors and were most recently valued at $7.6 billion. Robinhood has offices in Menlo Park, California, Lake Mary, Florida, Denver, Colorado, and London, United Kingdom.
About the role
Robinhood’s legal department is looking for a Legal Counsel, UK with legal experience in a financial services context who is excited to work at the intersection of technology and finance. Your advice and creativity will help shape the legal, product, and regulatory strategy for Robinhood’s UK team. Joining our small team requires an auto-didactic mindset as you tackle legal problems from a variety of legal disciplines including financial services regulation, contract law, privacy law, etc.
As Legal Counsel, UK, you’ll be the first lawyer based in our London office, and will be the first port of call for our International team. Your responsibilities include:
- Securing and maintaining regulatory permissions, pulling together what you need from across the organisation
- Navigating complex regulatory frameworks to design and advise on innovative financial products and services
- Identifying necessary changes to the firm’s systems and procedures to meet the requirements of new rules/regulations
- Monitoring regulatory developments and making resulting recommendations
- Researching a range of novel legal and regulatory questions and providing legal analyses and recommendations to inform business decisions
- Supporting the leadership team with the full range of UK legal matters, including employment, regulatory, and commercial law questions.
- Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating commercial agreements for the UK office from variety of domains
- Draft agreements, policies and procedures, disclosures, account documentation and terms of service, and website materials.
Some things we consider critical for this role:
- You have a degree in law, and are England and Wales qualified
- You have 5+ years of legal practice PQE, with some experience at a top tier law firm
- Experience advising clients/teams on legal issues related to regulatory affairs and compliance with financial services regulation (e.g. MIFID II, JMLSG)
- You are able to work independently and are comfortable making decisions that affect our product and customers
Some things that would be amazing to have for this role:
- Experience with getting licensed, or with regulatory relations in the UK
- Experience in the financial services industry or representing financial services clients, in an in-house capacity
- Experience developing compliance programs and advising accordingly