About the company
Robinhood is democratizing our financial system. With customers at the heart of our decisions, Robinhood is lowering barriers, removing fees, and providing greater access to financial information. Together, we are building products and services that help create a financial system everyone can participate in.
Robinhood is a fast-growing company and was recognized as a CNBC Disruptor 50 and a LinkedIn Top Startup in 2019. We’re continuing to grow and are looking for incredible talent that can help us achieve our mission.
Robinhood is headquartered in Menlo Park, California, with offices in Lake Mary, Florida, and London, UK.
About the role
Software engineers on the Data team are the central node to every team within Robinhood. You’ll be interfacing with UX researchers to gain insight, Ops engineers to ensure successful deployments, and Data Scientists to advance our product by utilizing machine intelligence. The Data team consists of functions including Data Platform (e.g. our compute infrastructure), Data Products (e.g. newsfeed), Growth and Marketing (e.g. optimizing top of funnel growth), and Risk and Fraud (e.g. real-time risk mitigation systems).
Your day-to-day will involve:
- Having a dedicated mentor who will review your code and help you get ramped up
- Productionizing machine learning algorithms, and augmenting data scientists to make the Robinhood products smarter
- Building scalable APIs in a microservice ecosystem
- Building robust distributed systems to process large scale data streams into useful applications
- Engineering fast, real-time data pipelines to process data from across the financial markets and our internal event streams
- Implementing risk monitoring systems to improve tracking and mitigation of several risks including money laundering, financial fraud and margin exposure
- Working closely with data scientists and collaborate with back-end and front-end engineers to build products for gathering timely insights about customer behavior, etc.
Some things we consider critical for this role:
- Strong CS fundamentals
- Desire to own product development from end-to-end, including research, design, and implementation
- Comfortable and excited to work with distributed systems and data at scale
- Previous software engineering experience from internships, hackathons, or side projects
- Familiarity with Python, Golang, data systems
Core tech stack:
- Celery (written by our very own Ask Solem)
- Elasticsearch, Logstash, Kibana (ELK)
- Redshift and AWS Suite
Feeling ready to give 100% to democratizing our financial system? We’d love to have you apply, even if you feel unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Robinhood, we’re looking for people invigorated by our mission, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.