About the company
Robinhood is democratizing our financial system. We offer commission-free* investing and trading. Investing in stocks, ETFs and options is offered through Robinhood Financial LLC. Cryptocurrency trading is offered through Robinhood Crypto, LLC. Robinhood Financial, our broker-dealer, is a fast-growing brokerage firm with millions of users and billions of dollars in transaction volume. Robinhood has received the Apple Design Award (2015), the Google Play Award for Best Use of Material Design (2016), and was named Fast Company’s 11th Most Innovative Company in the world (2016). Robinhood is based in Menlo Park, California, and Lake Mary, Florida.
*Relevant SEC and FINRA or other fees may still apply. Please see Robinhood’s Commission and Fee Schedule at https://about.Robinhood.com/legal to learn more.
Robinhood means Robinhood Markets, Inc. and its subsidiaries, including Robinhood Financial LLC (member SIPC) and Robinhood Crypto, LLC.
About the role
Software engineers on the Data team are the central node to every team within Robinhood. You’ll be interfacing with UX researchers to gain insight, Ops engineers to ensure successful deployments, and Data Scientists to advance our product by utilizing machine intelligence. The Data team consists of functions including Data Platform (e.g. our compute infrastructure), Data Products (e.g. newsfeed), Growth and Marketing (e.g. optimizing top of funnel growth), and Risk and Fraud (e.g. real-time risk mitigation systems).
Every decision made at Robinhood is backed by data; our company trajectory is defined by the systems, tools, and analytics powered by our exceptional team. We integrate multifaceted data streams such as rapidly changing market data, user data based on app activity, and brokerage operations data to perfect our processes and workflows.
In this role you will:
- Have a dedicated mentor who will review your code and help you get ramped up.
- Productionize machine learning algorithms, augment data scientists to make the Robinhood products smarter.
- Build scalable APIs in a microservice ecosystem.
- Build robust distributed systems to process large scale data streams into useful applications.
- Engineer fast, real-time data pipelines to process data from across the financial markets and our internal event streams.
- Implement risk monitoring systems to improve tracking and mitigation of several risks including money laundering, financial fraud and margin exposure.
- Work closely with data scientists and collaborate with back-end and front-end engineers to build products for gathering timely insights about customer behavior, etc.
Some things we consider critical for this role:
- Strong CS fundamentals
- Desire to own product development from end-to-end, including research, design, and implementation.
- Comfortable and excited to work with distributed systems and data at scale.
Some things that would be amazing to have for this role:
- Previous software engineering experience from internships, hackathons, or side projects.
- Familiarity with Python, Golang, data systems.
Technologies we use:
- Celery (written by our very own Ask Solem)
- Elasticsearch, Logstash, Kibana (ELK)
- Redshift and AWS Suite
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: Robinhood does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Robinhood does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.