Robinhood is democratizing our financial system. We offer commission-free investing in stocks, ETFs, options, and cryptocurrencies. Robinhood Financial, our broker-dealer, is a fast-growing brokerage with millions of users and billions of dollars in transaction volume. Robinhood has received the Apple Design Award (2015), the Google Play Award for Best Use of Material Design (2016), and was named Fast Company’s 11th Most Innovative Company in the world (2016). We’re backed with $539 million in capital from top-tier investors such as DST Global, NEA, Index Ventures, Thrive Capital, Sequoia, and KPCB, and were most recently valued at $5.6 billion. Robinhood is based in Menlo Park, California, and Lake Mary, Florida.
About the role
Robinhood’s legal department is looking for an attorney with legal experience in a financial services context who is excited to work at the intersection of technology and finance. Your advice and creativity will help shape the legal, product, and technology strategy for one of the fastest growing fintech companies.
Joining our small legal team requires an autodidactic mindset as you tackle legal problems from a variety of legal disciplines: securities law, financial services regulation, contract law, immigration, IP, employment, etc.
In this role you will:
- Advise, product, engineering, IT, business development, marketing, and other teams on a full range of issues related to product development and commercialization, including compliance with laws and regulations on privacy, data security, marketing, safety, consumer protection, risk management, and partner relations
- Draft, review, update, and negotiate foundational documents for product and service offerings (e.g., terms of service, privacy policies, and service change notifications)
- Build processes to improve the company’s operating efficiency and mitigate legal risk
- Research a range of novel legal questions and distill findings to advise internal stakeholders
- Collaborate with in-house and outside counsel to research complex legal and regulatory issues
- Partner with outside counsel with an eye toward driving business goals while effectively managing time and cost
Some things we consider critical for this role:
- Member of a US State Bar, preferably in CA
- JD from an ABA accredited law school
- 3+ years of legal practice, with some experience at a top tier law firm
- Experience advising clients/teams on legal issues related to product development
Some things that would be amazing to have for this role:
- Experience in the financial services industry or representing financial services clients, in an in-house capacity
- Experience developing compliance programs and advising accordingly
- Experience with data privacy regulations
- Experience with joint development agreements and partnerships
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: Robinhood does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Robinhood does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.