About the company
Robinhood is democratizing our financial system. With customers at the heart of our decisions, Robinhood is lowering barriers, removing fees, and providing greater access to financial information. Together, we are building products and services that help create a financial system everyone can participate in.
Robinhood is a fast-growing company and was recognized as a CNBC Disruptor 50 and a LinkedIn Top Startup in 2019. We’re continuing to grow and are looking for incredible talent that can help us achieve our mission.
Robinhood is headquartered in Menlo Park, California, with offices in Lake Mary, Florida, and London, UK.
About the role
Robinhood’s legal department is looking for an attorney with legal experience in a financial services context who is excited to work at the intersection of technology and finance. Your advice and creativity will help shape the legal, product, and technology strategy for our fast growing fintech company.
Joining our small legal team requires an autodidactic mindset as you tackle legal problems from a variety of legal disciplines: securities law, financial services regulation, contract law, immigration, IP, employment, etc.
Your day-to-day will involve:
- Advising, product, engineering, IT, business development, marketing, and other teams on a full range of issues related to product development and commercialization, including compliance with laws and regulations on privacy, data security, marketing, safety, consumer protection, risk management, and partner relations
- Drafting, reviewing, updating, and negotiating foundational documents for product and service offerings (e.g., terms of service, privacy policies, and service change notifications)
- Building processes to improve the company’s operating efficiency and mitigate legal risk
- Researching a range of novel legal questions and distilling findings to advise internal stakeholders
- Collaborating with in-house and outside counsel to research complex legal and regulatory issues
- Partnering with outside counsel with an eye toward driving business goals while effectively managing time and cost
Some things we consider critical for this role:
- Member of a US State Bar, preferably in CA
- JD from an ABA accredited law school
- 3+ years of legal practice, with some experience at a top tier law firm
- Experience advising clients/teams on legal issues related to product development
- Experience in the financial services industry or representing financial services clients, in an in-house capacity
- Experience developing compliance programs and advising accordingly
- Experience with data privacy regulations
- Experience with joint development agreements and partnerships
Feeling ready to give 100% to democratizing our financial system? We’d love to have you apply, even if you feel unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Robinhood, we’re looking for people invigorated by our mission, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.