Robinhood is changing the way America invests. We believe our financial system should work for everyone and not just a few. We offer commission-free trading for stocks, ETFs, options, and cryptocurrencies—all in one, user-friendly platform. Since our public launch in 2015, we’ve enabled millions of people to participate in the markets, cementing us as the fastest-growing brokerage ever.
About the Role
Come and help us democratize access to financial systems. Robinhood’s legal department is looking for an attorney with legal experience in a financial services context who is excited to work at the intersection of technology and finance. Your advice and creativity will help shape the legal, product, and technology strategy for one of the fastest growing fintech companies.
Joining our small legal team requires an autodidactic mindset as you tackle legal problems in collaboration with multiple internal teams: Compliance, Business, Product, Data Science, DevOps, Engineering, Marketing, Public Relations, Customer Service, and People Operations. Working at Robinhood, you will:
- Navigate a complex commercial landscape to help design innovative financial products and services.
- Provide contracting support and advice on matters relating to financial services offerings.
- Negotiate and finalize commercial agreements from a variety of domains (real estate, cloud services, marketing, etc.).
- Counsel business teams on negotiating term sheets and agreements with vendors and counterparties.
- Build and improve template agreements.
- Build processes to improve the company’s operating efficiency and mitigate legal risk.
Some things we consider critical to being our Commercial Counsel:
- Member of a US State Bar
- JD from an ABA accredited law school
- 2+ years of work experience as an attorney
- Extensive background in drafting and negotiating agreements
- Experience with commercial relationships relevant to fintech including software-as-a-service agreements, technology transactions, joint development agreements, and consulting agreements
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Keen attention to detail and organization
- Strong project management and analytical skills
- Fluency in a variety of legal domains outside of your primary practice area
- Ability to learn new software and cloud-based tools as needed (e.g. Docusign, Google apps, file management tools)
- 3-6 years of work experience
- At least one of the following work experiences:
- Top law firms or state or federal clerkships
- Financial regulator at the state or federal level
- Prominent legal groups within federal, state, or local government
- In-house legal departments for publicly-traded financial services or technology companies
- In-house legal department for startups at the Series B+ or unicorn stage
- Legal education: degree from top law school, recognized academic achievement in law school, or law review experience
- Experience negotiating commercial contracts related to financial services
- Experience with software-as-a-service agreements; complex technology transactions; and joint development agreements
- Experience with contract management software
- Eager to learn about new and emerging technologies
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: Robinhood does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Robinhood does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.