About the company
Robinhood is democratizing our financial system. With customers at the heart of our decisions, Robinhood is lowering barriers, removing fees, and providing greater access to financial information. Together, we are building products and services that help create a financial system everyone can participate in.
Robinhood is a fast-growing company and was recognized as a CNBC Disruptor 50 and a LinkedIn Top Startup in 2019. We’re continuing to grow and are looking for incredible talent that can help us achieve our mission.
Robinhood is headquartered in Menlo Park, California, with offices in Lake Mary, Florida, and London, UK.
About the role
Come and help us democratize access to financial systems. Robinhood’s legal department is looking for an attorney with experience in securities and broker-dealer regulatory and compliance issues who is excited to work at the intersection of regulation, technology, and finance.
Your day-to-day will involve:
- Navigating complex regulatory frameworks to design innovative financial products and services
- Identifying and drafting necessary changes to the firm’s systems and procedures to meet the requirements of new rules/regulations
- Drafting agreements, policies and procedures, disclosures, account documentation and website materials
- Monitoring SEC/FINRA and SRO rule developments and making resulting recommendations
- Researching securities and brokerage questions and providing legal analysis and recommendations
Some things we consider critical for this role:
- Member of a US State Bar
- JD from an ABA accredited law school
- 5+ years of work experience
- Expertise in researching, applying, and communicating legal requirements in the financial services space in a regulatory context
- Expertise in navigating financial regulatory audit/examination processes
- Knowledge or expertise in regulations relevant to broker-dealers including: Securities Exchange Act of 1934, Regulation T, Bank Secrecy Act, KYC, AML
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Keen attention to detail and organization
- Strong project management and analytical skills
- Ability to learn new software and cloud-based tools as needed (e.g. Docusign, Google apps, file management tools)
- 8-15 years of work experience
- At least two of the following work experiences:
- Top law firms in a securities practice focused on broker dealers
- Prominent legal/examination groups focused on broker dealer within a regulator (SEC, FINRA, CFTC)
- In-house legal departments with a focus on broker dealer and trading matters
- Legal education: degree from top law school, recognized academic achievement in law school, or law review experiences
- Deep knowledge of federal securities with a particular depth of knowledge regarding retail brokerage issues including margin, options, securities lending, etc.
- Eagerness to learn about new and emerging technologies
Feeling ready to give 100% to democratizing our financial system? We’d love to have you apply, even if you feel unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Robinhood, we’re looking for people invigorated by our mission, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.