Robinhood is democratizing our financial system. We offer commission-free investing in stocks, ETFs, options, and cryptocurrencies. Robinhood Financial, our broker-dealer, is a fast-growing brokerage with millions of users and billions of dollars in transaction volume. Robinhood has received the Apple Design Award (2015), the Google Play Award for Best Use of Material Design (2016), and was named Fast Company’s 11th Most Innovative Company in the world (2016). We’re backed with $539 million in capital from top-tier investors such as DST Global, NEA, Index Ventures, Thrive Capital, Sequoia, and KPCB, and were most recently valued at $5.6 billion. Robinhood is based in Menlo Park, California, and Lake Mary, Florida.
About the Role
Come and help us democratize access to financial systems. Robinhood’s legal department is looking for an attorney with experience in securities and broker-dealer regulatory and compliance issues who is excited to work at the intersection of regulation, technology, and finance.
As our Counsel-Broker Dealer, you’ll:
- Navigate complex regulatory frameworks to design innovative financial products and services.
- Identify and draft necessary changes to the firm’s systems and procedures to meet the requirements of new rules/regulations.
- Draft agreements, policies and procedures, disclosures, account documentation and website materials.
- Monitor SEC/FINRA and SRO rule developments and make resulting recommendations.
- Research securities and brokerage questions and provide legal analysis and recommendations.
Some things we consider critical to being our Counsel - Broker Dealer:
- Member of a US State Bar
- JD from an ABA accredited law school
- 5+ years of work experience
- Expertise in researching, applying, and communicating legal requirements in the financial services space in a regulatory context
- Expertise in navigating financial regulatory audit/examination processes
- Knowledge or expertise in regulations relevant to broker-dealers including: Securities Exchange Act of 1934, Regulation T, Bank Secrecy Act, KYC, AML
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Keen attention to detail and organization
- Strong project management and analytical skills
- Ability to learn new software and cloud-based tools as needed (e.g. Docusign, Google apps, file management tools)
- 8-15 years of work experience
- At least two of the following work experiences:
- Top law firms in a securities practice focused on broker dealers
- Prominent legal/examination groups focused on broker dealer within a regulator (SEC, FINRA, CFTC)
- In-house legal departments with a focus on broker dealer and trading matters
- Legal education: degree from top law school, recognized academic achievement in law school, or law review experiences
- Deep knowledge of federal securities with a particular depth of knowledge regarding retail brokerage issues including margin, options, securities lending, etc.
- Eager to learn about new and emerging technologies
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: Robinhood does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Robinhood does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.