Robinhood is democratizing our financial system. We offer commission-free investing in stocks, ETFs, options, and cryptocurrencies. Robinhood Financial, our broker-dealer, is a fast-growing brokerage with millions of users and billions of dollars in transaction volume. Robinhood has received the Apple Design Award (2015), the Google Play Award for Best Use of Material Design (2016), and was named Fast Company’s 11th Most Innovative Company in the world (2016). We’re backed with $539 million in capital from top-tier investors such as DST Global, NEA, Index Ventures, Thrive Capital, Sequoia, and KPCB, and were most recently valued at $5.6 billion. Robinhood is based in Menlo Park, California, and Lake Mary, Florida.
About the Role
Infrastructure engineering provides stable infrastructure, fully self-service developer tooling and operational guidance that enables our backend, data, security and product engineers to confidently ship complex financial systems at a breakneck pace.
As an Infrastructure Engineer you will:
- Own and automate all aspects of our online serving infrastructure across all environments
- Build fully self-service tools that let engineers confidently own and operate their services
- Take an engineering-driven approach to scaling next-generation financial systems. We dive deep into systems via ad-hoc debugging, performance tuning and kernel/network stack tuning. We'll occasionally directly embed in backend teams to help drive large-scale infrastructure improvements.
- Serve in the infrastructure on-call rotation to ensure Robinhood infra is highly available for our customers and internal developers.
Some things we consider critical to being an Infrastructure Engineer:
We’re a small, dynamic team serving a highly ambitious engineering organization. Our work spans multiple areas of expertise, including site reliability, performance, productivity engineering and cloud infrastructure. The ideal candidate will be great in a couple of these areas, but is also willing to learn, dig in and contribute across many areas. In general, you’ll need:
- Experience and empathy in building products/systems/tools for engineers
- Hands-on experience building and scaling products/systems/tools that support microservice-oriented architectures and related OSS technologies (e.g. Kubernetes, Kafka, Celery/RabbitMQ, nginx, Redis, Airflow, etc)
- Experience working with cloud-native infrastructure on a public cloud (we’re an AWS shop)
- Extensive familiarity with the Linux internals and network configuration/protocols
- Strong foundation in Infrastructure as Code and configuration management using tools like Terraform, SaltStack, Ansible, Chef, Puppet
- Able to write clean and maintainable code, preferably in Python and/or Go
Some awesome projects on our roadmap:
- Transition to an immutable, container-based infrastructure on Kubernetes
- Build a self-service platform-as-a-service that enables engineers to generate, deploy and operate fully functional microservice stacks
- Build powerful deployment capabilities like canaries, blue-green deploys and traffic shifting
- Empower developers with curated, ephemeral environments for local development, integration testing and performance testing
- Research and implement service mesh for increased security and observability
- Research, define and drive Robinhood's multi-region serving strategy
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: Robinhood does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Robinhood does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.