About the company
Robinhood is democratizing our financial system. With customers at the heart of our decisions, Robinhood is lowering barriers, removing fees, and providing greater access to financial information. Together, we are building products and services that help create a financial system everyone can participate in.
Robinhood is a fast-growing company and was recognized as a CNBC Disruptor 50 and a LinkedIn Top Startup in 2019. We’re continuing to grow and are looking for incredible talent that can help us achieve our mission.
Robinhood is headquartered in Menlo Park, California, with offices in Lake Mary, Florida, Denver, Colorado, and London, UK.
About the role
We’re a small, dynamic team serving a highly ambitious engineering organization. Infrastructure engineering provides stable infrastructure, fully self-service developer tooling, and operational guidance that enables our backend, data, security, and product engineers to confidently ship complex financial systems at a breakneck pace. Our work spans multiple areas of expertise, including site reliability, performance, productivity engineering, and cloud infrastructure. Some of our current projects include transitioning to an immutable, container-based infrastructure on Kubernetes and building a self-service platform-as-a-service that enables engineers to generate, deploy and operate fully functional microservice stacks. The ideal candidate will be great in a couple of these areas, but is also willing to learn, dig in, and contribute across many areas.
Your day-to-day will involve:
- Owning and automating all aspects of our online serving infrastructure across all environments
- Building fully self-service tools that allow engineers to confidently own and operate their services
- Taking an engineering-driven approach to scaling the next generation of financial systems
- Diving deep into systems via ad-hoc debugging, performance tuning, and kernel/network stack tuning
- Occasionally directly embedding in backend teams to help drive large-scale infrastructure improvements
- Serving in the infrastructure on-call rotation to ensure Robinhood infra is highly available for our customers and internal developers
- Assisting with projects such as: building canaries, blue-green deploys and traffic shifting; providing curated, ephemeral environments for local development, integration testing and performance testing; and implementing service mesh for increased security and observability
Some things we consider critical for this role:
- Experience and empathy in building products/systems/tools for engineers
- Hands-on experience building and scaling products/systems/tools that support microservice-oriented architectures and related OSS technologies (e.g. Kubernetes, Kafka, Celery/RabbitMQ, nginx, Redis, Airflow, etc)
- Experience working with cloud-native infrastructure on a public cloud (we’re an AWS shop)
- Extensive familiarity with the Linux internals and network configuration/protocols
- Strong foundation in Infrastructure as Code and configuration management using tools like Terraform, SaltStack, Ansible, Chef, Puppet
- Ability to write clean and maintainable code, preferably in Python and/or Go
- Passion for working and learning in a fast-growing company
Feeling ready to give 100% to democratizing our financial system? We’d love to have you apply, even if you feel unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Robinhood, we’re looking for people invigorated by our mission, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.