Roadmunk is a high growth start-up in a fast-moving and highly competitive market. What sets us apart is our deep understanding of our users' psychology and our ability to produce simple solutions to complex problems.
Roadmunk was inspired by a problem our founders experienced personally: there was no simple way for product managers to build and share roadmaps. So, we built an app to help companies create roadmaps of all shapes, sizes, and types. Our goal is to make strategic roadmapping quick, effective and collaborative.
The most forward-thinking product teams (we’re talking in the thousands here) from top companies like Amazon, Disney and eBay are using Roadmunk to align all of their stakeholders and execs using beautiful, crystal-clear roadmaps.
From day one, we’ve built our app, business, and culture around our people-first values. These values are the driving force behind everything we do:
- Start with empathy
- Driven to succeed
- Trust through transparency
- Build with balance
- Always learning
- Fun together
We’re really proud of the culture that we’ve created together. At Roadmunk, you'll be joining a welcoming, supportive and fun team that will make sure you have all the things you need to be successful in your role.
Roadmunk is looking for a data/business intelligence leader to spearhead our entire data strategy, from planning when/how we will build a scalable data warehouse, to hiring/coaching a team, to creating dashboards and reports for individual teams. You will be a leader who can roll up their sleeves to get things done (this is not a pure management role), in addition to providing strategic direction in building a data team and delivering results.
Our data infrastructure is facing some challenges and we are looking for an individual who can bring both a deep knowledge of business problems and processes, as well as a strong technical literacy and the ability to lead a team in building technical solutions. This is an ideal role for an individual with tons of grit who likes to work through complex problems and make a direct impact. In addition to building and implementing long-term strategy, you’ll also be triaging short-term problems to unblock teams as needed.
This is not simply an analyst role, this is a role that also involves building our data infrastructure from the ground up. You will be leading the team that architects, implements and support scalable data warehouse solutions (as needed), and will be responsible for creating data models, ETLs, and supporting the general data infrastructure. As our head of data operations, you will also be the advocate for data, its integrity, accessibility, analysis, and operations. Location: Toronto HQ, with occasional travel to Kitchener office.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Audit our current data infrastructure and processes; dig deep to understand the gaps and blind spots in what we do today, both from a technical and business perspective
- Work closely with business teams to understand their problems and questions; develop a deep understanding of business needs and provide data solutions
- Work closely with engineering and technical teams to understand our current data architecture and strategize plans for the future
- Work with your team to design, architect, and support a scalable data warehouse
- Devise a scalable data strategy that balances solving short-term problems with building for scalability
- Effectively communicate the vision to the leadership team
- Build a data team according to the needs of your data strategy
- Act as a direct manager to data team members; provide coaching and guidance on a day-to-day basis
- Work with your team to develop ETL pipelines and support third-party data transfer tools
- Act as a functional leader to non-direct-reports as needed to get data strategy executed
- Partner with other leaders in the organization to unlock data challenges
- Create, track, and execute project plans; create and maintain documentation for data projects
- Integrate statistical, mathematical and predictive modelling in business analysis to manipulate high volumes of data
- Identify and propose ‘big’ questions to study in depth impact to inform strategic decisions
- Be a resource for business leads in pulling data for analysis
- Design, build and support Business Intelligence platforms
- Create dashboards, reports and provide guidance on metrics to track progress
- Experience designing and implementing a data strategy from scratch at a startup
- 5+ years of experience with data warehousing, data modelling, ETL and SQL
- Experience with AWS Technologies including Redshift and S3 preferred
- Experience with reporting tools such as Periscope, Tableau or Looker
- Knowledge of batch and streaming data architectures
- Experience using big data technologies (Hadoop, Hive, HBase, Spark etc.)
- Knowledge of engineering risk and decision making processes
- Ability to hire, manage and mentor a data team
- Strong business acumen with the ability to understand and address business needs
- Experience communicating with leadership teams and stakeholders from different disciplines
- Super gritty: You’re able to navigate a complexity to create strategy from the ground up; proven capacity to create strategy and make an impact in unstructured environments.
- Excellent communication skills
- Fun, friendly and awesome to work with!
We know we’re not alone in boasting things like flexible working hours, on-site snacks, monthly team social events, and the occasional dog in the office. That has become table stakes in this job market.
But just in case we need to be specific...
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Full health benefits package from day one
- Annual health & wellness allowance
- Diverse projects, cutting-edge tools and freedom to experiment!
Roadmunk is an equal opportunity employer. We thrive on diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, experiences, and skills.