Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
A total-vehicle validation Senior Quality Engineer is responsible for identifying deviations from the standard for a variety of vehicle functions and characteristics, including but not limited to BSR (buzz-squeak-rattle), NVH (noise-vibration-harshness), HVAC function, water-tightness, air-leak, aeroacoustics, road-noise, steering performance, drivetrain function, etc. They will be deep diving into the root causes of deviations from these vehicle attributes, collaborating with product design and process engineering to define a resolution, delegating and driving this solution through the process to series implementation, and validating the effectiveness of the measure on the vehicle through a variety of test methods (including, but not limited to 4-post shaker, climate testing, road test, wind-tunnel testing, acoustic assessments and measurements, water test, air leakage, etc.) with the Vehicle Attributes Team within Product Development. They also work closely with setting standards for functions on the whole vehicle and in collaboration with the Testing & Development team to generate test methods to be applied in the production environment. Duties include tracking and monitoring multiple projects and issues simultaneously, using available resources to support robust root cause determination and verification of effectiveness, supporting optimized utilization of the existing equipment (including the development of test profiles and fixtures), identifying needs for additional resources should these be needed, and reporting out to leadership on progress. A structured approach to problem-solving, including the use of proven quality methods, is required to ensure the complete resolution of issues. Fundamental knowledge of a broad range of vehicle hardware systems is required; a working understanding of value-added production systems, manufacturing methods in the automotive industry, and vehicle test and analysis methods (specifically in functional and dynamic acoustics) is also essential to be successful.
Quality engineers are also responsible for creating documentation that reports and tracks issues and errors relating to the design and production processes, with efforts toward finding a solution.
- Lead the analysis process utilizing proven quality tools to help develop immediate countermeasures (containments) and permanent (long-term) solutions in response to internal and external customer quality concerns.
- Drive development of methods to analyze product and process quality.
- Improve product quality/validation effectiveness by defining/implementing recommendations for improvements of the current state, establishing best-practice methods for total vehicle testing, and aligning across the organization with other testing and development departments.
- Drive improvements to meet long-term Customer Quality Expectations.
- Analyze data (test results, internal quality, and field warranty data) to define trends, capability, and functional improvements.
- Work with relevant teams and departments to understand the needs regarding analysis and measurement systems.
- Conduct analyses of issues and validations of solutions.
- Lead brainstorming and ideation to develop solutions for observed problems.
- Formulate a strategic plan to develop systems and metrics that increase productivity in the business.
- Proactively identify testing and process improvements independent of quality issues (e.g., simplification, cost-down, durability improvements, sampling rates, tool improvement, etc.)
- Set performance and deadlines goals that comply with the company’s plans and vision.
- Lead cross-functional problem-solving teams across all business units.
- Organize workflow and ensure that team participants understand their duties and delegated tasks.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- High proficiency in analytical tools and equipment typically used for complete vehicle validation in the automotive development and production areas.
- Strong understanding of test and analysis methods in support of Customer Quality Metrics.
- Advanced Excel skills and knowledge of Power BI or Tableau, a plus.
- Experienced in working with SharePoint.
- 3+ years of Manufacturing/assembly process experience.
- 3+ NVH, Climate Functions, and Comfort Evaluations experience preferred.
- Results driven with a Quality Mindset.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Good electronic communication software skills (MS Office, Minitab, email, etc.).
- Desire to work in a solid cross-functional and collaborative environment.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; sit; use hands to grasp, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities this job requires include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- In the performance of the duties of this job, the employee is required to travel (frequency), drive a motor vehicle, and communicate using telephone and e-mail.
- Engineering, Quality, or other Technical Bachelor’s-Degree, or equivalent combination of education and 5+ years’ experience in automotive testing or manufacturing environment.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidate Data Privacy
Rivian may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Rivian may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
Rivian may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our People Team, Finance, Legal, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Rivian affiliates; and (iii) Rivian’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.
Rivian may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.