Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
In this role, you will be a technical lead in a team of engineers that develop the real-time motion and behavior planning algorithms that enable the autonomy of our fleet. This role will interface closely with the Pose, Perception, Prediction, and Controls teams to set companywide KPIs and produce the best in class, next-generation ADAS stack. At Rivian, we develop our systems from the ground up and in-house. We do this to give you the best possible tools at your disposal and make it easier to apply your knowledge to the difficult problems ahead. The ideal candidate will have strong experience in autonomous vehicles or robotics and a proven track record of being able to deliver to production.
- Lead the research and development for features that encompass varying levels of autonomy.
- Build out our existing planning stack as well as looking for improvements to take our planning in new directions.
- Optimize motion planning for robustness, safety, and speed.
- Implement motion planning algorithms on hardware with high quality and effective code.
- Work across teams to define and lead ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Systems) feature sets.
- Collaborate with Validation and Systems teams to define, measure, and validate KPIs.
- 5+ years of robotics, AV (Autonomous Vehicle), or other real-time, safety-critical planning experience
- MS or PhD in Computer Science, Robotics, or other relevant Engineering disciplines
- Ability to build solutions from first principles
- Experience applying planning to real world problems
- Strong C++
- Background in motion planning with experience in graph planning, sampling methods, and optimal planning
- Background in behavior planning with experience in temporal logic structures, classical planning, and reinforcement learning
- Effective communication and collaborative skills
- Experience taking models from prototype to production
- Experience working with specialized compute (such as GPUs and other accelerators)
- Demonstration of State-of-the-Art knowledge in planning
Salary Range for California Based Applicants: [$205,000.00 - $236,000.00] (actual compensation will be determined based on experience, location, and other factors permitted by law).
Benefits Summary: Rivian provides robust medical/Rx, dental and vision insurance packages for full-time employees, their spouse or domestic partner, and children up to age 26. Coverage is effective on the first day of employment, and Rivian covers most of the premiums.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidate Data Privacy
Rivian may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Rivian may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
Rivian may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our People Team, Finance, Legal, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Rivian affiliates; and (iii) Rivian’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.
Rivian may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.